Thanks

Use same DNS server addresses for Modem, Router and Network Adapters?

I have changed the DNS of my Computer System from the default ISP one for a faster one.
    The Shields-Up benchmark stated that I needed to change the Computer adapters also for best results.
    I have 2 different Adapters, USB and Area Network adapter.
    My setup has the Westell 6100 modem, the Netgear N900 Router connected to a home built computer with I7, 12 meg ram.
    Everything seems to work OK as it is now set up with all the same DNS addresses.
    My question is...Should I use the same DNS addresses for everything, or use different ones for the Router and the computer's 2 adapters? I think that the router takes over the addressing of the DNS when it's addresses are working....but what happens if the router's DNS address are maybe overloaded and quit working?
    Yes, I am just starting to learn about networking and would appreciate any advice!
    GiddyUpGo "Don't look back. That is not the direction you are going!"

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    DNS is just a lookup system so your computer knows the real address of things you type in the browser. The lookup happens only once for each new address you type, the results are then stored on your computer. Changing DNS should not make any difference to connection speed. You don't have to worry about the DNS being overloaded, that will be managed by the DNS provider.

Does the modem connect to the router or your computer?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    DNS is just a lookup system so your computer knows the real address of things you type in the browser. The lookup happens only once for each new address you type, the results are then stored on your computer. Changing DNS should not make any difference to connection speed. You don't have to worry about the DNS being overloaded, that will be managed by the DNS provider.

Does the modem connect to the router or your computer?

cheers, Paul
    My Modem connects to my ISP by the Phone line. My Router connects to the modem. My computers connects to the Router.
    My question was, Should I use the same DNS addresses for the Router and for the Computer Adapters? Or should I use one set of DNS for the Router and another set for the computer apadters?

Thanks
    Hi GiddyUpGo, I have OpenDNS primary & secondary settings in my Netgear DGN2000 router as its the last point of contact to the WWW. Their is no need to change my pc settings. Use this to test your system. DNSBench.zip
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

GiddyUpGo (2012-04-14)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should set the DNS on the router and leave your computers to automatically obtain all settings from the router.

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

GiddyUpGo (2012-04-14)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You should set the DNS on the router and leave your computers to automatically obtain all settings from the router.

cheers, Paul
    Thank you for you help. This is how my computer is setup now. QRC ShieldsUp! Benchmark stated that the adapters needed to be setup too. This was what I did not understand. I thought the router was the last link, but was not sure, so the adapter DNS settings would not make any difference. If I understand this right now.
    Thanks for the benchmark link. I will also try that one.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The router is the single internet connection point for all devices on your network. As long as the router is secure all will be well.

cheers, Paul