New Lounger
    Thanks

MSE "Realtime Protection: Not Available" Anyone know the cause?

Hi. On a WinXP netbook that I let others use on occasion, I noticed one day that the Task Bar was BLACK with nothing showing, but the rest of the screen was fine, preventing me from seeing what was going on. I tried to get it to show but clicking on it but would neither reveal itself nor remove the black. Pulled up Task Manager and things looked okey there, but no MSE! Went to Start/Programs and clicked on MSE and up popped its screen, BUT... said Error 0x800705b4. Googled that and applied to fix according to MicroSoft because the screen told me Realtime Protection: Not Available showed it was Up to Date so I ran a Quick Scan which showed no problems, but still Realtime Protection Not Available. Also applied the other suggested FixIt from MS which installed Power Shell. DLed a new copy of MSE but it would not install saying I first had to UnInstall the existing one, which I did.

But even the NEW installation showed Realtime Protection: Not Available, but everything else was normal. Ran an Update just to make sure and still had the TWO defects... Blank Black Task Bar and Realtime Protection Not Available. What to do? So I ran another Quick Scan and about 2 minutes into the scan, Realtime Protection Not Available turned into Computer Status: Protected and the Task Bar reappeared. The Scan reported zero problems. I have used MSE for months if not years and never seen something like that before. Any ideas guys? Thanks.

Thanks
    You may have a malware infection that is disabling MSE. Download Malwarebytes , install and run it in safe mode.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Open MSE. Go to settings. From the tree on the left click on real time protection. See if the check box is checked for real time protection. If not check it. Might be as simple as that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, Malwarebytes, which I use, didn't see anything. @chumly, that was the first thing that I checked and it was suppoedly running... but one never knows. MSE seems to be working fine, for now... must have been some glitch. But I am still puzzled about why the Task Bar would go black... I have seen it on other machines and ReStart seems to be the only fix. Thanks again.