Thanks

Cleaning Up Duplicate Files

This morning I decided to run Auslogic's Duplicate file finder, as I hadn't done this in a while. I was surprised at how scattered I had let my files get. Normally I just scan the My Music, My Documents, and the My Pictures folders. This morning I decided to scan my entire hard drive however and found a lot of duplicate .jpg and .png files that are a little puzzling. As you can see from the attached Snagit, some of these .png files are listed in C:\Program Files(x86) Windows Sidebar and others are C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar.
    I'll state here that this computer originally came with Win XP Pro (32) and I upgraded it to Win 7 (32).
    My question is: Is it safe to delete the x86 png files or not. Disk space at this time is really not an issue. I just like keeping my house in order.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    I'd be extremely weary of cleaning up "duplicate files" in Windows 7 unless you know exactly what they are.* Advice: Dump the duplicate file finder tool.

If you don't typically use any of your operating system's default images, like wallpapers etc., then you should have no problems with their absence. I'd be a bit more weary with icons though.

Uninstalling the root program might make more sense.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-16 at 04:55.

Thanks
    Thanks Clint, and yes I am very careful with what I delete using this program. As I mentioned, disk space is not a problem so I will probably just let these stay.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use DuplicateFilesDeleter .com it really fixes the duplicate files problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    T8,

I ran across Duplicate Cleaner a couple of days ago. I really like this program as it has options to not only check on file names but also contents and has a very nice interface. Here's an article by Gizmo on Duplicate finders. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs