Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 32-bit to 64-bit upgrade

My wife's computer is currently running Win7, 32-bit. I've been troubleshooting performance problems and I've come to the conclusion that a memory upgrade is necessary.

According to the Crucial online scanner, she only has 1, 2-gig sticks installed. The MB Can handle up to 4, totaling 16 gig's of memory.

I'm wondering if it's possible (ie: Legal) to use the existing installation key to upgrade from the 32-bit to 64-bit OS? According to this Microsoft page, I'll need to back everything up and reinstall, which is understandable. It doesn't say one way or another if I can use the same license key. My thinking is that I'll have to buy another upgrade (or full-version?) disk.

Does anyone know for certain if the upgrade can be done with the same key or not? Of course, I would prefer to NOT have to buy another copy of windows.

Eric the Grey
    Doesn't Microsoft mean small and limp?

Thanks
    Eric,

Cannot go 32 to 64 via Upgrade. Changing bit platform must be done via a clean install. No option. And, of course, the machine must support x64.

In normal, general use 2GB RAM should be enough but, certainly 4GB would be plenty.

Is this a pre-loaded machine? If not, then, your Win7 Retail box came w/ a 32-bit disc & a 64-bit disc. You can use either 1, just not both @ the same time. So, format the 32-bit installation & replace it w/ a clean 64-bit install.

Regards,
    Drew

Administrator
    Thanks
    You CAN use the same key. If there is an issue a simple phone call to Microsoft will take care of it. They are very understanding about this sort of issue if it occurs.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a home-built machine, installed from a retail version of Win7. I do understand that a format and full install are necessary, I'm just using the term "upgrade" because in a sense, it is (to me at least).

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You CAN use the same key. If there is an issue a simple phone call to Microsoft will take care of it. They are very understanding about this sort of issue if it occurs.

Joe
    This is good news, even IF I have to call Microsoft. I had to do that before due to motherboard replacement on another machine, so I'm at least a little familiar with it.

I'll probably see how well the machine works with 4gig (it should improve game performance at the very least) of ram and hold off until I have more time to wipe and re-install.

Thanks for your replies.

Eric the Grey

Thanks
    I can confirm doing so without the need to call MS to revalidate, without any issue. I've even changed motherboards without the need to call MS one one occassion.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    I think you should go for the "upgrade", even with just 4GB RAM, as only around 3 GB are actually usable by 7 32 bits.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I think you should go for the "upgrade", even with just 4GB RAM, as only around 3 GB are actually usable by 7 32 bits.
    I probably will. I put off going 64-bit for a long time, eing worried that some apps wouldn't run right (being 32-bit) but a good friend got a new machine with 64-bit Win 7 and he had no problems with anything, so when I built my newest machine, I bit the bullet. No problems at all.

I'll probably upgrade hers at some point. I may even purchase the additional memory this week in preparation for it.

Eric the Grey

Thanks
    I have yet to find a 32 Bit app that will not work with my 64 Bit Win 7 PC. Heck most work with my 64 Bit Win 8 CP (beta) OS as well. Do not be afraid of 64 Bit OS just because you have 32 Bit apps. Now if you have a bunch of 16 Bit apps, then you might have a problem.

I would have to concur on the Ram upgrade. You should notice a nice increase in speed. The 64 Bit will allow you to access the additional Ram.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Grey View Post

I'll probably upgrade hers at some point. I may even purchase the additional memory this week in preparation for it.

"ETG"
    Hello...My 2¢....The RAM should be replaced in "Matched Pairs" I suggest to move to 8GB (high speed DDR2) if your going to "64" this way you will be able to get rid of the HD "Page File" altogether.. Unless your running some intensive "Apps" 7 \ 64 will hum along without it... My 64 OS is setup this way and have had no problems eliminating the "Page File" Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-04-14 at 09:08.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I would also recommend going with at least 6GB's of RAM in a 64 bit os as a bare minimum for any type of computer usage.
    Preferably in matched pairs as Fred suggests.

Thanks
    Not relevant here, but I saw a posting in a Microsoft Answers Windows 7 forum that wanted to know if they could accomplish a 64 bit upgrade by installing Windows 7 32 bit twice!

Jerry

Thanks
    LOL, yea that's the ticket, 32 Bit twice. Bought fell out of my chair!!!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Jerry, tell me you're making that up.... it is a funny joke.

Now, about 32 vs 64. IF anyone ever is considering the 2, always go 64. 32-bit apps will run on 64. 64 is the way of the future. 64 will use available RAM while, 32 stops @ 3.25.

RAM should be done in matching pairs. For average needs 4 or more is plenty.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    No, it was an actual post although I think it was a bit of a troll...

The biggest problem with going to 64 bit is drivers. In my case I have a scanner with 32 bit drivers only and in reality, 32 bit Windows 7 is plenty fast on my PC. I agree that 64 bit is the wave of the future but there aren't any killer 64 bit apps out there yet. The OS does run slightly faster but as I said, 32 bit is plenty fast on my PC.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've also had problems with getting good reliable performance from AHCI mode with 64-bit. Maybe I'm just unlucky and get the driver support (all AMD AM3 boards). It very well could be since on the last one I said what the heck and selected the install ALL drivers and utilities on an ASROCK board...what a mistake. The LAN utility hung Network, the FastUSB utility hung shutdown with a USB drive attached, Norton was on there and had to be removed before it could work its magic and slow down the system... got me to thinking that these utilities could be responsible for a large percentage of problems with new installs just as software from OEMs can cause issues.

BTW, now that I have some experience with 7-64-bit, its been my experience it needs more RAM than 32-bit or it doesn't run as smoothly (at low levels; 2 gigs specifically), so I only run 64-bit on the systems that have two VMs running on a separate SSD for obvious reasons. I have enough 32-bit systems to provide all the compatibility I need without having to go through the rigmarole to get the 64-bit systems completely compatible with 32-bit network resources.

If everything was 64-bit from the ground up or not part of an established network, I don't think there would be much in the way of issues at this point.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-04-15 at 13:24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast