New Lounger
    Thanks

After Install - Move C:\Users to D:\Users

SSD: 120GB "C:\"
    RAID: 1TB "D:\"
    DVDs: F: and G:

I have a small SSD drive "C:\" where Windows 7 Pro x64 is installed. I don't want C:\Users to be on the SSD, but on the 1TB Raid drive "D:\".

Found 2 possible solutions (that won't work):
    1. MS recommends to do this during the install of Win7 x64 with an install instruction xml file. That would be fine if their OS actually would let you install Windows with an SSD and other hard drives mounted during the install. But there is a bug that Windows won't install to the SSD unless you disconnect all other drives.

2. Boot on the Windows install media and run ROBOCOPY and MKLINK to copy and create junctions so Windows doesn't really know that C:\Users is D:\Users. That would probably work great except for the fact that my Raid drive doesn't show up unless I load the driver. But the command: " mlink c:\Users d:\Users /j " doesn't make sense because during the install, C:\Users is really D:\Users, and the Raid drive is J:\ So I hesitate to even try it and delete my original C:\Users directory.

I know all about the Right Click on the My Pictures and move it...I don't want to do that...

Family member recommended I ask here.

Thanks!
    - S

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Welcome!

To setup RAID you need two disks (and I'm not talking about your SSD as one of them). You can't have a true RAID setup on a single 1TB disk. If you have divided the disk into two primary partitions and called that a RAID array, you aren't gaining any of the benefits of RAID.

Your SSD should be connected to the SATA0 socket on your motherboard, the 1TB should be connected to the SATA1 socket.

And there is a way to move the main Windows folders other than "Right Click on the My Pictures and move it" that works quite well.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome. I have a 1 TB RAID set... I never said that I have a single 1TB drive. So since this is what I am asking about...

Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    And there is a way to move the main Windows folders other than "Right Click on the My Pictures and move it" that works quite well.
    What is the answer?

Thanks
    Set 7 Free

It is for advanced users; lots of registry editing involved, etc.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Do you really want the whole users directory moved or just the mydocuments and mypictures subdirectories. If that's what you want, see:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-fd49a007fd82

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally figured it out. I was totally on the right path with doing the ROBOCOPY and MLINK commands. But in my case, my RAID drive doesn't show up when you boot into the Recovery disk or the Windows 7 x64 Installation disk. So long story short...I had to create a Windows PE 7 x64 custom disk adding the drivers necessary for the RAID controllers to show up in the dos mode. I got lucky that my destination drive for Users folder was D: and it was mounted as D: in the Windows PE session.

Here are the basic instructions that I followed:

http://basementjack.com/uncategorize...-raid-drivers/

I am so glad Microsoft wasted 5 hrs of my day due to their assumptions that everyone wants user data on the OS drive. Dorks...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackermagic View Post
    I am so glad Microsoft wasted 5 hrs of my day due to their assumptions that everyone wants user data on the OS drive. Dorks...
    Well, they have precedent on their side, since all current and previous Windows operating systems have adopted this policy! They are unlikely to be aware of your own personal preferences and attitudes...
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Well, they have precedent on their side, since all current and previous Windows operating systems have adopted this policy! They are unlikely to be aware of your own personal preferences and attitudes...
    True, but I always change it anyway. the Microsoft way really isn't the best way to setup a system, it's just the easiest way to support an OS; keep everyone in the same box. Not a bad business model in that respect, but then I don't depend on MS for support, either.

They made it a bit more difficult with Windows 7, but I can still set it up the way I want it to run. The link in post #4 is there for other folks like me.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Actually...no that is not true. In XP you could move "Document and Settings" folder anytime you wanted to. So as bbearren pointed out, it is all about Microsoft and their support of an OS, not the user-end usability of the operating system. Also, just to put it out there...the creation of the Windows Registry was the biggest step backward in the world of Operating Systems ever.

But I am still glad that Microsoft is still copying UNIX operating systems and giving us utilities like MKLINK so we can get around their lack of vision. (for you Windows only folks, MKLINK is basically the same as LN on UNIX where you make symbolic and hard links to files and directories).
    Last edited by blackermagic; 2012-04-15 at 10:49.

Thanks
    In the previous post did you mean mklink? My searches on mlink were not fruitful.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    In the previous post did you mean mklink? My searches on mlink were not fruitful.
    Yep...fixed it...I think it was too early to type Ks this morning. =)