New Lounger
    Thanks

Please help Grandpa

Hello,

My first post here.

Basics: Win 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, over sixteen thousand updates, updates are live and automatic
    Intel i7-2600
    8.00 GB RAM
    64-bit OS
    Terabyte of storage

My problem, "I tried to use D-Link's SharePort Utility and I cannot"
    I did all the uninstall procedures through control panel, but something hung somewhere.
    Every time I start my putter I get a message, "SharePort installation incomplete, please try again" or something very close.

'I am dangerously familiar with 'Win 7 regedit.exe', but I cannot easily find where this 'nasty gram' comes from.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks, Grandpa

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

If you try to install it again, does it succeed?

If nothing else works, you can try Revo Uninstaller. I suggest creating a Restore Point, if you follow that route or even a full system backup, if you do that as a habit.

Thanks
    Welcome!

Have you tried re-installing?

(@ruirib - looks like you hit "Submit" before I did...)
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-04-14 at 17:37. Reason: added content
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried reinstalling

Hello,

Thanks for the replies, and yes I did try several re-installs with 'erases' in between installs by the control panel.

I have a D-Link DIR-628 router between this main computer and a DSL modem, and I have a little D-Link remote, a DWA 160, on a remote computer.

The remote computer comunicates just just fine with the main router, but I have given up trying to use a printer hooked up to the USB port on the DIR-628; my hopes had been to just use one printer, and use it through SharePort. I quit trying, period.

I just want to get rid of the little reminder everytime I turn on this computer.

I know the message comes from Registry, but where? I wish to find it and destroy it.

Thanks, mean and evil Grandpa

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried going to "control panel>devices and printers" and look to see if anything there re printers that should not be there. If there is you can right click and uninstall the device from there.
    You could also check "device manager" to see if anything flagged as having a problem and uninstall from there.
    It may be a driver that is still installed but corrupted which would be hard to find in registry.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-04-15 at 01:33.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Have you checked that Windows 7 supports the D-Link router's USB port, or vice versa?
    By that I mean, if you look up the D-Link website does it show support for Windows 7 for this port?

And even less helpfully, why isn't the printer connected directly to Grandpa's PC (and make it a shared printer) rather than to the router?
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Thanks
    Run MSConfig, click on the startup tab and look for any Dlink and/or shareport entries. If you find one, uncheck the box and reboot.

Jerry

Thanks
    Also, it appears that running Share Port on a 64 bit OS is problamatical. Read this topic on the DLink forums:
    http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=fe9bdc7ced61768462670539976afe d3&topic=7960.15

J
    erry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Jerry,

There was a line in MS config about Share Port with a check in the box. I un-checked and the message is gone. ;-}