Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Fred's Win7 No-reformat, OS-reinstall problem

Need some information. I read through all 7 pages of another similar post and did not see my situation. I was asked to start a new post as follows: I have Win7 Home Edition without SP1 pre-installed on a ZT Desktop PC (purchased from Costco). I have been getting a number of BSODs at different times since it was purchased about 2 yrs ago, but have just lived with it during that time. The BSOD frequency is about 2 or 3 times per week. The ZT tech support (in New Delhli) folks have no answers other than reformat and reinstall Windows. I attempted to use Fred Langa's method of reinstall-upgrade but the OEM Recovery DVD that came with the computer does not offer me the choice for upgrading. The setup just proceeds to download the files when I click on "Install". It also does not offer me the option to "get updated file from the internet". It just starts installing. Well, I immediately cancelled out. There was one screen that did appear that showed two partitions. C: (OS) and another smaller partition for System files. Does that mean I can not use the Fred's method? Please advise. PS: I also have an unused Windows 7 Upgrade package purchased a while back that does not have SP1 included. Would this be helpful to me in any way to do Fred's method of reinstall-upgrade? Any assistance is most appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Hi,

You can download official ISO discs for Windows 7 from here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/window...-home-premium/

You just need to burn it to disk and then use the disk for the repair procedure.

Have you tried to find the origin of the BSODs, with a tool such as BlueScreenView? Probably would make sense to do that, because if you have hardware issues, the repair procedure won't solve the underlying problem.

Good luck .

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib, for the tips. I will try them. Also, I could not find out at the link if the ISO versions of Win7 happened to already have SP1 streamed in. My version of Win7, 64bit does not have SP1, so let me know if these ISO versions have SP1 built-in.

Thanks,
    Doug

Administrator
    Thanks
    No, these versions do not have SP1.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

DTPWarrior (2012-04-15)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Hi,

You can download official ISO discs for Windows 7 from here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/window...-home-premium/

You just need to burn it to disk and then use the disk for the repair procedure.

Have you tried to find the origin of the BSODs, with a tool such as BlueScreenView? Probably would make sense to do that, because if you have hardware issues, the repair procedure won't solve the underlying problem.

Good luck .
    No, these versions do not have SP1.
    Hi Rui, I have a disk burned using your link for W7 H Prem and SP1 is included.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    For those of you needing Win 7 with SP1 here is the link. This is the Digital River official site that does include SP1.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi Rui, I have a disk burned using your link for W7 H Prem and SP1 is included.
    I haven't downloaded the files, but there are links for the version that includes SP1 and links for the version that does not include SP1. Unless the providers themselves updated the ISO images to include SP1, the link I posted does not include it, George. You should be aware that the pages look similar, but they are different.

That said, my previous assertion was based on the information on the page. I have links to other mydigital life links for W7 versions that include SP1, but they are different.

Thanks
    I haven't downloaded the files, but there are links for the version that includes SP1 and links for the version that does not include SP1. Unless the providers themselves updated the ISO images to include SP1, the link I posted does not include it, George. You should be aware that the pages look similar, but they are different.

That said, my previous assertion was based on the information on the page. I have links to other mydigital life links for W7 versions that include SP1, but they are different.
    Rui, I used the link I saved to D/L my copy to compare with your link, they are identical. This is my link.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Administrator
    Thanks
    George,

According to the page, the build was, at least initially, the one for Windows 7 RTM, back in 2009 (6.1.7600 - SP1 is 6.1.7601). I don't know if the manufacturers have updated it after SP1. My expectation was that they didn't.

My link for SP1 including versions is this: http://www.mydigitallife.info/offici...digital-river/

As you can see, even for digital river, the references are different.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-04-16 at 04:35.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you All for your help. I took the advice offered and first tested my HD using Seatools for DOS. Passed both short and long test. The I used Memtest86 and within 30 seconds, began receiving error messages. Doing controlled exchanges of the DIMM chips and re-running Memtest86 after each change, I was able to isolate and remove the bad 2GB memory chip. That still left 6GB Ram, and my system is purring like a well-fed kitten. Since the bad memory chip must have been the cause of my BSODs, I no longer need to do a Win7 Reinstall. Yippee.

Though 8GB is not really needed for what I use this PC for, I went ahead and ordered a replacement DIMM. Kington KVR 2G 240 Pin for $37. I found similar chips for less, but wanted to match the remaining DIMMs. Happy camper here.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by DTPWarrior; 2012-04-19 at 07:41.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm glad you found the reason for the BSODs. Well done .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DTPWarrior View Post
    Thank you All for your help. I took the advice offered and first tested my HD using Seatools for DOS. Passed both short and long test. The I used Memtest86 and within 30 seconds, began receiving error messages. Doing controlled exchanges of the DIMM chips and re-running Memtest86 after each change, I was able to isolate and remove the bad 2GB memory chip. That still left 6GB Ram, and my system is purring like a well-fed kitten. Since the bad memory chip must have been the cause of my BSODs, I no longer need to do a Win7 Reinstall. Yippee.

Though 8GB is not really needed for what I use this PC for, I went ahead and ordered a replacement DIMM. Kington KVR 2G 240 Pin for $37. I found similar chips for less, but wanted to match the remaining DIMMs. Happy camper here.
    Thanks again.
    I wonder if ZT systems or Cosco would have replaced the memory as a Warranty Repair? It wouldn't have hurt to ask.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I lived with these BSODs for over 2 years. If I suspected the memory was the problem I would have tried to get the DIMM replaced by Costco or ZT systems. When I spoke to the tech support guys at ZT systems, they never suggested a memory problem. These New Delhi folks are a one-trick pony. There only suggestion was to reinstall Windows 7 (without Fred's no-reformat/reinstall method). I was about to do Fred's method and had just burned the Win7 ISO to a DVD, when I read about Sealtools and Memtest86. I also used the BlueView freeware as recommended to view the dump files. There were plenty, but I could not decipher the problem from that program. Had to go on some other forums to finally find out about memtest86, etc.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DTPWarrior View Post
    I lived with these BSODs for over 2 years. If I suspected the memory was the problem I would have tried to get the DIMM replaced by Costco or ZT systems. When I spoke to the tech support guys at ZT systems, they never suggested a memory problem. These New Delhi folks are a one-trick pony. There only suggestion was to reinstall Windows 7 (without Fred's no-reformat/reinstall method). I was about to do Fred's method and had just burned the Win7 ISO to a DVD, when I read about Sealtools and Memtest86. I also used the BlueView freeware as recommended to view the dump files. There were plenty, but I could not decipher the problem from that program. Had to go on some other forums to finally find out about memtest86, etc.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Yeah, these memory issues often don't seem to get pinned down until the warranty is expired. It's a common story. Well, at least the issue got solved.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Win 7 Ultimate and have been experiencing many "not responding" issues and thought I would "fix" this 7 month old system. I also ran the memory test and did not find any errors.

I started using Fred's "no-reformat" technique yesterday and got to the point where I removed the SP1 and restarted the computer. I am now at 8 hours "Configuring Service Pack-do not turn off your computer" and holding! The "percentage complete is still "0" after all this time.

Has anyone else had this experience? Do I continue to wait? Do I restart? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast