Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can shading in tables be customised?

I have a 2x2 table. Top left is blank as far as shading is concerned. Bottom left is filled with "Lt Dwn Diagonal", top right is filled with "Lt Up Diagonal" and bottom right is filled with "Lt Trellis". The diagonals combined with the trllis gives the right effect, but is too dark.

Can the shading be customised? If the lines of the diagonals and trellis could be spaced further apart, that would be great. Any other ideas? I can not use colour as the document will be photo copied.

Thanks in advance.
    Leon

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I don't believe they are customizable. Why can't you use different shades of grey without the crosshatching? Also different colors will show in B&W copies as different shades of grey. Another idea is to leave the crosshatching but use a paragraph style with clear shading behind the text, for example,
    Capture.PNG

Pam

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

Leon1 (2012-04-18)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pam, thanks for the suggestion. I like the idea of the crosshatching because that demonstates something of the interaction between what is represented by the row and the column. (In your example the bottom two blocks should be switched.) If I could use colours I would use something like red and yellow with an orange block where the two overlaps.
    I like the idea of the paragraph style. I have never used that, but I will look into it. I think that should do the trick. If it is not to complecated, please tell me what you did to put the text on a light grey background.
    Leon

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You asked about changing the shading.

Are you aware that the cell fill has three different components: Fill (background colour); Pattern Style (eg Lt Dwn Diagonal); and Pattern Color (eg. what colour the Lt Dwn Diagonal bits are).

You can use the Pattern Colour to reduce the optical weight of the pattern by changing it from black or automatic to a grey shade. Alternatively, you can make the fill dark and then change the pattern to use a white.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Leon1 (2012-04-18),PamCaswell (2012-04-18)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Great tip, Andrew. I think I'd still use bold type with the crosshatching, just as we did back in the day.

Pam