5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to join homegroup

Hi All
    I have this small problem. I have re-installed windows home premium SP1 on my sister computer to upgrade to 64bit from 32 bit home premium SP1.
    After finishing the install and installing most of the windows updates I then proceeded to set the computer to join my home-group network. But this just keeps failing saying unable to create home-group. I am not trying to create a home-group as my other 2 computers (desktop & laptop) are already part of the home-group using the same shared pass-phrase, I am just trying to join the Home-group already present, so I do not understand the message about creating a home group as I clicked on the join selection.
    Have tried to find solution using MS fixit and trouble shoot which say to check firewall on the desktop which is originator of the home-group which I have done and can find no problems (which there should not be as the laptop would not be able to connect to the home-group either if there was, and I have no problems with either the desktop or Laptop connecting. I have checked that the advanced sharing options are set same on all computers with password sharing disabled.
    Also when she was on 32 bit win7 there was no problem with joining home-group.
    I wonder why on a completely clean install of windows 7HP 64 bit I now cannot join the home-group. The other computers are seen on the network map on all machines and I can map a drive no problems to the desktop from my sisters computer (which is also a desktop). so it seems I have no network problem as such.
    Anyone have any idea what it is I may be missing that prevents the joining of the home-group? (Pass-phrase used is copied and pasted from my desktop to ensure correct input)
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-04-17 at 09:03.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks
    If, as suggested by Joe does not help, try this method. File sharing.pdf
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe and Roderunner for your suggestions but so far none have resolved the issue.
    I cannot understand why a new clean install of win 7 64 bit have these problems would have thought that any settings needed would be set automatically during install.
    Especially as my sister's computer was connecting to home-group with no problems when she was on 32 bit. (all computers are now on 64 bit win 7 HP so should be even better compatible than before.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Thanks Joe and Roderunner for your suggestions but so far none have resolved the issue.
    I cannot understand why a new clean install of win 7 64 bit have these problems would have thought that any settings needed would be set automatically during install.
    I recently did a clean install on my desktop and had to uninstall my laptop's network adapter in device manager to get it going again. I kept the drivers. Rebooted, input my passphrase, job done.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Roderunner for input.
    What I don't under stand is that if I had a problem with my network adapter I don't believe I would be able to map a drive to my desktop. I have no problem with mapping a drive and connecting to both computers. The Network map sees all connect computers that are connected to my router. Even the Home-Group joining page sees my desktop and states it has a home-group I can join but then tells me it cannot create home-group on this computer even though I am only trying to join a home -group not create one as my desktop has already get the home-group. This is puzzling me no end.

Thanks again for you assistance though.
    Clive

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi roderunner
    Thanks for your continued help. Unfortunately my problem is a bit different than yours as my sisters computer can create the network map and all computers are shown. In fact there is no reason for for not being able to join the home group. I have check the registry entries and services advised in previous links and all are as shown. I can actually map a drive from my sisters computer to my desktop with no problems so shows network is connected. This is a strange mystery.
    Clive

Administrator
    Thanks
    I split the network mapping into its own thread. It is a separate question.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Here's more homegroup troubleshooting information 32-bit & 64-bit homegroup sync. Not sure if it is just more of the same.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for all your help. Have decided not to worry about the home-group as I can do everything that you can do without it. I can map drives in any direction add network printer which is connected to my desktop as router does not have USB or printer Ethernet. So cannot see what home-group is for as can share without it.
    Clive

Thanks
    Hi Clive, works for me also.