2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Back-up on network

Not too long ago I switched from XP to Win 7 Ultimate, SP1. Well I'm getting used to it is the kindest thing I'd say. I have been using a 500Gb drive in a USB enclosure for back-up using Windows back-up. A couple of days ago Windows could not detect the USB drive so the back-up failed. Sure enough it looked as though the drive had failed, but to be sure to be sure I took it out of the enclosure and installed it as an extra drive in a desktop machine. No problem with the drive. So now I'd like to back-up using the home network to the same drive, however, there seems to be a problem. The desktop machine is using XP Pro, there is no log-in required, it just boots up. I can locate the drive, and the folder, in Win Backup. I get the following warning:-

"You can only save your backups on a network location on Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 7 Enterprise."

Does this mean that the desktop has to be running one of these versions of Win 7? If so read no further. The next paragraph says:

"You'll need to provide a user name and password so that Windows Backup can access the network location. If you can access the network location from the Computer folder on your computer without having to type a user name or password, type the user name and password that you used to log on to the computer into the Windows Backup UI. If you aren't able to access the network location from the Computer folder on your computer, you'll need to create a user account on the network computer and type the user name and password for that user account into the Windows Backup wizard."

If you can access the network location from the Computer folder on your computer without having to type a user name or password, type the user name and password that you used to log on to the computer into the Windows Backup UI. ????

If there is no user name or password then type it in??? The word "computer" appears three times in that one sentence. Which does it refer to? One, other, or both??? Is it me? Or should I just buy another enclosure for the bare drive?

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    "You can only save your backups on a network location on Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 7 Enterprise."

Does this mean that the desktop has to be running one of these versions of Win 7? If so read no further.
    That's what it means.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well thank you for that very succinct answer. I can only suppose this is a matter of security because it couldn't have anything to do with selling more copies of Win 7. Perish the thought! Saving to an unecrypted USB drive, that's okay, to a network drive? Oh no! Does Microsoft run the TSA by any chance?

I should have stuck with Windows 3.11.

David

Thanks
    David, Win 7 Backup app is a somewhat basic app to start with, You might be better off looking at one of the excellent 3rd party apps mentioned throughout the Security and backups forum. These are much more full featured and will back up to the media you desire.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input. From what I've read in Windows Secrets I was under the impression that the backup facility in Win 7 was pretty good. I used to use Terrabyte Image for DOS/Linux/Windows. I must admit I always found the interface to be daunting. Have ordered a new enclosure for the USB drive, but will look at the other options.

David

Thanks
    There are several excellent Imaging apps mentioned. I use Acronis True Image Home, Macrium Reflect is also mentioned, EaseUs ToDo v4, Ghost v11, these are all excellent apps that various members have used very successfully.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy