Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVD/CD cleaning

Thanks
    Afraid so, Chuck.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I read somewhere that sticker or paper label is not advised on DVD disc.
    Caddy-less disc player (with only a slit to push in the disc, most are in cars) would get stuck. The paper causes the jam.
    The caddy-less design depends on the top and bottom roller mechanism to roll the disc in/out. The sticker may get stuck, sort of like paper get stuck on printer roller.

Thanks
    I used Lightscribe, labels and found it was too much trouble and time so I just use a Sharpie now...

Printing labels was nice but just takes too much time but they come out nice and I have this gadget that centers them on the disk...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks

Isopropyl alcohol

Have you tried isopropyl alcohol to remove the marker?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have never wanted to remove a sharpie label from a disc before but you could try plastic polish like this:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...leaner-polish/

I know from experience that it does a great job getting scratches out of the playing surface side of the disc. If the ink is just on top and doesn't soak into the substrate then it should take it off or most of it anyway.

Thanks
    I wouldn't use any k9nd of solvent because it may destroy the protective layer that is put on all disks..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    "RR"
    Just another opinion .... I use a "Sharpie" marking pen (Black) ...When i have to change or reuse the CD\DVD...i take a paper towel with some Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol (sparingly) and remove the unwanted bit and add the new ...Never had any problems (with the disks) ..Just figured not to get any on the "Data" side...My 2 ˘ Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Methylated spirits works

I've successfully used methylated spirit (methyl alcohol) a number of times to remove my writing from optical disk labels. It is the solvent used in marker pens (though the purchased fluid has a small amount of other poisons added to try and discourage desperates from drinking it). Works without problem on 'shiny label' disks. Apply with a rag or paper towel, trying to dab rather than rub, so as to ensure none ends up on the playable surface.

If used on matte-white ('inkjet printable') labels you won't get all a lot of the ink off and will leave an inky cloud of residue, but hey.

After seeing Fred's recommendation I'd actually go with isopropyl alcohol if you have it and don't mind the extra minor expense, since it will evaporate much faster than methylated spirits. Isopropyl alcohol can be bought as screen or CD/DVD cleaner from CD shops, computer shops etc., which is I suspect purer than the rubbing alcohol bought from a pharmacist.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Take a different colored pen, perhaps? I make a habit of writing on the sleeve I keep them in, and put a code that's on the sleeve and DVD, like M36 (M for movie, let's say) so that if I leave them unsleeved in a big pile - you know the rest. I also flip the liner in plastic cases and write on them.
    If you have different colored blanks, you can add that to the code.
    I also make sure I name them during the burn process, because it's a lot quicker to just ID them by the name in My Computer rather having to frickin open them in explorer, but anyways, that doesn't help the labeling thing.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The correct way to label DVD/CD is write/label first, THEN record. This is very important for reliable backup.

If label writing causes damages, the error correction during burning will remedy it. If you label after burning, the damage maybe too much for error correction.

But why the hassle? Soft tip marker will do 99.99% of the time.

[In quality control experiment, even a very slightly marked disc will affect the recording quality. The 'impression' goes all the way to the other side and it shows. The sharper the writing tool, say, a sharp pencil (used as a control), the higher the effect. Remember, we are talking about tiny tiny micro size 'mirrors'. A slight pressure on the 'mirror' changes it reflectivity quality.]

That said, it is for knowledge only. Today, reliability is very high. Use a soft tip pen is good enough. I even use 'hard' felt tip marker (but write softly!). Has no ill effect. As usual, the escape clause: Do it at your own peril.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12