5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Readers write about serious troubles

LETTERS

Readers write about serious troubles

Prompted by recent articles about Internet scams, Windows updates, and slow-moving computers, Windows Secrets readers offer stories and suggestions of their own.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/letters/readers-write-about-serious-troubles// (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.[/td] [/tr][/tbl]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Search Service Won't Start

Windows Search in Win7-64 has stopped working. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus.

I am unable to start the Windows Search service. StartUp Type is set to Automatic (Delayed Start). I am not sure but I suspect this started after a recent Windows Update.

When I try to start the service, I get a message that says, "Windows could not start the Windows Search service on Local Computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."However, WindowsSearch.exe is indeed in C:\Windows\System32 folder.
    1. When I ran SFC on WindowsSearch.exe and on srvsvc.dll, no problems were reported.
      1. In fact, running SFC on the entire system returned no problems or errors.
    2. In Windows Features, Indexing Service is unchecked and Windows Search is checked
    3. In /Control Panel/Indexing Options, "Indexing is not running."
    4. When I run, "Troubleshoot search and indexing," I get the messages: "Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories" "Windows Search service not running"
      1. I could not find the Windows Search directories to change the permissions.
    5. In Taskbar and Start Menu properties, under Start Menu tab, under "Customize...," under "Search other files and libraries", "Search with public folders" is checked.
      1. Also, the box that says, "Search programs and Control Panel" is checked
    6. In Regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search - In the right pane, SetupCompletedSuccessfully value is set to 0 (zero)
      1. ​Other settings there are: RebuildIndex (2) SystemIndexNormalization (1) UseLowPriorityConfig (1)
    I would be so very grateful for help with this ... I'm losing hair rapidly !!!!!!!
    Thank you, Bill Wolcott

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bill:
    You'll get a faster response if you post your message over in the Windows 7 part of this site.
    Dick

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Dick.