2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2007 Chart question

I'm working in Access 2007 on a Risk Management DB, changing the tool we use to set the Impact and Probability of a risk. Impact ranges from 0 to 10 and Probability ranges from 0% to 100%. I have set up ActiveX slider controls to allow the user to set these graphically and I have a textbox for each that's bound to the table fields and linked programmatically to the slider scroll events to show the data as it changes.

My desire was then to get a plot of the point on a Red-Yellow-Green stoplight chart (for an example see page 81 of http://www.ncmahsv.org/pdfs/nes01chart.pdf). So, I created a chart object with the Impact on the X axis and the Probability on the Y axis. I selected no grouping on the Y axis so that I'd get the point for the single record and chose the Risk ID for the Link Master and Child Fields parameters. Here's the row source query: SELECT [intInitialImpact],[dblInitialProbability] FROM [tblRisk]; My thought was that I'd create the plot, remove the axes and title and make the chart area transparent so that I can put the stoplight graphic behind it.

The problem is that I get a plot with a point at an X coordinate of 1 and a Y coordinate of .9. This is the correct probability for my first risk, but not the correct impact (3). Further, as I move from risk to risk, the plot doesn't update. In fact, it often doesn't even appear until I click or double click on it. However, if I open the datasheet for the chart, the data displayed is correct. The chart just seems not to be plotting what's in the datasheet.

Can anyone provide me with some idea of what might be going on here - what I'm doing wrong? Are there any web sites I can go to for pointers on how to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for the help.
    Bill Lugg

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to add a little clarity, I discovered that the chart I placed is plotting the record ID on the X axis and applying the impact value as the data label. Not sure how it got that from what I configured in the chart wizard. Moreover, I can't find a way to redefine the X and Y components for the data series.

Any thoughts or pointers?

Thanks.
    Bill Lugg