New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2007 - File works on one system not other

I have a database which has worked fine for years. I developed it for a business and maintain it. The business uses it in a networked environment, with the main file on each machine and data file on the server.. One of their machines had some problems and now the database isn't working properly on any machine. When I copy both files back to my machine it works fine. One of the issues is that we have a main form with several subforms. One of those is set as continuous forms so they can add as many products as they need. Suddenly it won't allow them to add another product. And if they set up a new booking in the main form they can't add a product because there is no subform. We can work around it by going to the table and adding just enough info to trigger the subform, then go to the form itself to add the rest of the info.
    I can't see what is different when I run it on my machine so I can sort it out on the other.
    I have checked the Tools/References for both files on both machines and there is nothing different there.
    Does anyone have a suggextion please?

Lorraine in Hokitika NZ

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    No locks on the server database? Did you try a database compact repair?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did a compact & repair - there was a corrupted record and the repair helped fix that.
    Where do I check for locks?

Thanks
    Lorraine

Administrator
    Thanks
    If there would be locks, you would see an .ldb file in the same folder as the .mdb. If you were able to compact, that most likely means locking is not the problem.

Have you tried saving the data database in another machine in their network?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    I finally worked out what the problem was.
    Because it happened on all their machines I realised it had to be a problem with the data file.
    Somehow when one machine had some problems, it corrupted one record. In the process it deleted the primary key off the most important table and also deleted the relationships set up between that table and the related ones.
    So it now works.

Lorraine

Administrator
    Thanks
    And with that data file on your computer, there were no issues?

Anyway, glad that you got it sorted .

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It was after I copied their data file and ran it as a test file against a copy of my main file. I opened 2 instances of Access on my machine and ran one in each. I decided to look at the relationships first and noticed that most of the links to the main table were missing as compared to the OK one. When I tried to reinstate a link it & ensure integrity it told me there was an error with the primary key. So I started checking all tables in design view and comparing them between versions. It took time but it worked. I have now sorted out in my test one what needs changing. Now I just have to remotely fix their live one today.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, when things do not work properly, it's always advisable to try to reproduce the situation with as much as fidelity as possible when compared with the live site, just as you did. Well done .