New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Reinstall- Over Vista

Hey All, I'm about to try the reinstall via the upgrade process as outlined on the webpage. My question is: When I built my computer 2 1/2 years ago I installed the Vista OS, as W7 had not been issued at that time. When I got the W7 disk it was Windows 7 Home Premium. The top line on the disc label says "For Windows & Upgrade".

About 6 m. ago I did a format/clean install of Windows7 but did not install the Vista first. Performance has been less than expected. My question is this, Do I have to do the upgrade using my Vista disc first and then do the Win7 upgrade?, Or just do the Win7 upgrade?

Dave Dingler

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, you do NOT have to have Vista installed to install Win7 from an "upgrade" disc. Since you did a "format/clean install." you should have only Win7 on board. ??Perhaps it's time for sfc/scannow or an in-place (non-destructive) reinstall??? - but, first, just what kind of responsiveness issues are you having??

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Zig, Thanks for resopnding. Some programs do not seem to work as well as they did prior to the last reinstall of Win7. My Quicken program will not dl the files from the financial web on this compute. works fine on the lap top. I play with RailWorks train sim some and associated programs to layout scenery and track do not work properly. Nothing really major, but annoying.

Dave

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Should have known! I downloaded the Windows 7 files from the site suggested by Ted Myers and run the setup program. I had to do this about 3 times because of "out of date drivers" for some of the equipment that I don't recognize, Non compatable software, "Visual Studio 2003". I tried to find the hardware they were talking about and did do a driver update for my nvidia card. Still got the same message on the last upgrade try. The item it is looking at is NTSC and ATSC Capture devices.

The last time I run it went all the way through the installation and rebooted. On start up it was searching or starting the startup files and the message came up again that it could not install windows because the computer is non compatable. I've been using windows7 for 2 !/2 years.

Don't know what else I can do other than what I did the first time for the Win7 reinstall and that is wipe the drive, and this time install the Vista version and the upgrade to the Win 7 version.

Dave

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davedingler View Post
    Don't know what else I can do other than what I did the first time for the Win7 reinstall and that is wipe the drive, and this time install the Vista version and the upgrade to the Win 7 version.

Dave
    Dave,
    Hello... You could also consider doing a "Dual Boot" with "7" as the "Default OS".. If you want i could help you do this , and it might be a viable alternative until you can get everything straightened out with "7" Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-04-23 at 17:37.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks PlainFred, That might be an option that wold work. I have a hard drive on USB that I have backed up all my programs that are on the C drive using Acronis and can do an update file for any changes that have occured since the last time.

I'm not quite sure how dual boot system is accomplished, but remember seeing something about saving the current OS when I've done Win installations in the past. The thing that impressed me with the upgrade method was that supposedly, all my programs would work without the reinstallation and setups associated with them. I'm not sure what would be gained by having the dual boot over the clean reinstall. Perhaps you can tell me what I might be in for.

Thanks, Dave

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davedingler View Post
    I'm not sure what would be gained by having the dual boot over the clean reinstall. Perhaps you can tell me what I might be in for.
    Dave,
    Hello... the "Gained Part" would be that Vista would still run all your programs ... Until you could figure what "Updates\Driver etc. " would be needed to run on "7" without problems.. For me there are things in Vista that are not part of "7", that i missed ...Until i figured a way to make "7" behave and run "Vista stuff"

The Dual boot "Thumbnail"
    1. Download and Install EasyBCD (2.1) on Vista

2.. Make Image (or two) of Vista and save someplace safe.. 2nd HD or External Make sure your Recovery disk is working and can boot your PC...May require adjustment in BIOS so you can boot from a CD.

3.Format (NTFS) and partition the HD that you want to Dual boot.. 50\50 or whatever. Use a Linux partition manager like "G Parted (Free) Run from a partition manager boot disk.

4. Install "Vista" on 1st partition ( Drive 0) or 2nd drive 1, your choice. re-boot with the "7" CD (depends who you want to be Default ...should be Disk 0.

5. Install "7" on the empty partition. Then install EasyBCD on "7" and configure however you want Vista Default or "7"

Might be one or two more ..but that's about it Regards Fred

PS: i use "7" as disk 0 default and Vista as disk 1 ...with EasyBCD ..doesn't matter how you decide

PPS: Acronis might balk and have to be "Repaired" ....Doesn't like change..
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-04-23 at 19:14.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Fred, thanks, Using vista is not the intent. I've been using Win7 since it was issued in Nov 2009. My problem lies in the missing content of some programs and web site pages. Things like missing login section on a web page. Inability to dl data files in a financial prgram and other similar type problems. The reason I mention Vista in my posts is that that was the original OS that I installed when I built this computer. I installed Win7 as an upgrade to the original OS. That is why I am wondering if I messed up by not installing Vista first when I did the last clean re-install of Win7. These problems mentioned within do not happen on my laptop that has Win7 OS.

I think that I'll try the upgrade install method again and then if that doesn't work, bite the bullet and do a format and another clean install. This time insall vista and the Win7.

Dave

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave,
    Hello... If your "7" disk says... "Upgrade designed for Windows Vista" Then your correct... It want's to be installed over Vista..
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred, The upgrade does not specifically mention Vista. What it does say is "For Widows 7 Upgrade Option Program". I guess, basicly, the same thing.

Thanks again for all your support.

Dave

Thanks
    It was probably a disk sent to Vista PC/Laptop buyers who bought shortly before Windows 7 was released and allowed you to upgrade your Vista installation to Windows 7.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Finally Success! After a week of agony and defeat, I was able to get a completed reinstallation of windows 7. S**T happens! For some reason after the first reinstall, the cycle went all the way through the installation only to come up with missing MBR and couldn't access the OS disk. Searched for a way to fix that problem and finally gave up and redid the installation again. Restorred the backup files only to find that i could not access the internet. The device manager indicated that all drivers were up to date. Finally istalled drivers from the originlal MB install disk to pick up the original drivers and that worked. One of the problems with the restoring of the backup was that I had misread or misunderstood the significace of the restore MBR file. Using Acoronis backup, I failed to check the box to include the MBR file and that was the problem from the original reinstall.

Finally got it all together and guess I don't have to go buy a new computer afterall!

Thanks,

Dave