Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

How to leave a Homegroup and fix shared folders problem?

The OS on my friend's laptop and desktop, which share my internet connection over the LAN,is XP with SP3.
    My desktop OS is Win 7 Pro with SP1.

All 3 computers are designated Workgroup.

I just noticed that on my computer if I open Network and Sharing Centre and click Homegroup in the left pane, and then click "Leave the Homegroup" I am told I cannot. How can I leave Homegroup?

All 3 computers can see the shared folders on the other 2, but my friend's laptop and desktop cannot open the shared folders on my desktop. The access denied etc. message comes up. How can I resolve this problem?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,Roy
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Is that an homegroup created by you? If so, just disabled it: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27091/how-to-disable-or-enable-the-homegroup-feature-in-windows-7/

T
    o set sharing from 7 to XP, maybe this will help: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/

Thanks
    Hi Roy, open

Untitled.png

click whatever it shows next to HomeGroup, pretend to set sharing, when closed it will let you leave the HG.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib and Roderunner,

I did not create a homegroup and had already disabled it using the howtogeek method, but I still get the "unable to leave homegroup" message.Any other ideas?

I solved the sharing problem by unchecking "use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers" and checking "Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections", which I should have done in the first place.

Further advice regarding leaving the homegroup would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you did not create or join a homegroup you can't leave one.

Joe

Thanks
    Hi Roy, here's how to. Roy.docx

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner and thanks, but how do I get to the Create a homegroup screen?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Hi Roderunner and thanks, but how do I get to the Create a homegroup screen?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    As in first image in my .docx file.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, I cannot find the homegroup window shown in your first image. This may be because I downloaded and installed a registry tweak to disable libraries.Having said that I just added the registry entries to enable libraries again,but still cannot find the window concerned.

What do I do now?

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Once again - if you did not create or join a Homegroup you can't leave one. There is no reason to try to leave one.

What is it you are really trying to accomplish?

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Joe, I understand where you are coming from. The reason I started this thread is that in Network and Sharing Centre, if I click "Choose homegroup and sharing options" the next window says "This computer belongs to a homegroup",and that I am sharing pictures,music,videos and printers. This is not what I want, hence my question, but if those statements in Network and Sharing Centre are meaningless then please consider this thread closed. (If the statements are meaningless it's another example of Microsoft making life complicated and wasting users time).

Best regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Hello Joe, I understand where you are coming from. The reason I started this thread is that in Network and Sharing Centre, if I click "Choose homegroup and sharing options" the next window says "This computer belongs to a homegroup",and that I am sharing pictures,music,videos and printers. This is not what I want, hence my question, but if those statements in Network and Sharing Centre are meaningless then please consider this thread closed. (If the statements are meaningless it's another example of Microsoft making life complicated and wasting users time).

Best regards, Roy
    If the page says that the computer belongs to a homegroup, then someone added it to the homegroup.

Thanks
    Roderunner, I cannot find the homegroup window shown in your first image. This may be because I downloaded and installed a registry tweak to disable libraries.Having said that I just added the registry entries to enable libraries again,but still cannot find the window concerned.

What do I do now?
    Here's one method.

RR.png

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi ruirib & Roderunner,

Ruirib, I did not create a homegroup, and nobody else has access to my computer.

Roderunner, if I click on Computer or my C drive I do not get the window shown in your image.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks

Roderunner, if I click on Computer or my C drive I do not get the window shown in your image.
    Roy, can you post an image of what you get when you click Computer. Image and File posting..pdf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast