Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, Socket LGA775?

I have a pc whose specs are here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...334&CatId=2639

The pc is devoted exclusively to a DAW and is used in audio & music recording applications. In some ways I am reaching the limits of this machine, specifically cpu and disc usage. I have a number of questions regarding the upgradability of this pc to pose to this wonderful forum. I am trying to assess whether to upgrade or purchase / build a new pc.

The 1st: the processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz, Socket LGA775, E7400. Can I upgrade this processor / socket?

Caveat: I used to build pcs but since ~2003 have fallen woefully out of date / practice.

Thanks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You cannot upgrade the socket for that you need a new motherboard. But you can upgrade the CPU as long as it is for a socket LGA775. A Q6600 is a good one but there are many others even higher specs. Amazon.co.uk do many versions of socket 775 processors. Such as this one.
    Depends on how much you want to spend as processors are not cheap. Probably can get same on amazon.com for USA.

May be worth investing in a new motherboard bundle with the later processors as they can be as cheap as just the processor but come with memory, cooling, etc and are fully tested. Not sure who does motherboard bundles in USA but Novatech do them in UK.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-04-21 at 16:04.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

robbyk (2012-04-21)

Thanks
    You might be able to upgrade to an Intel quad core CPU at 3Ghz, You might also see some decent performance increase with a solid state drive, and on your RAM.

If you can still find this CPU, it's a very decent upgrade:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Desktop
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-27 at 11:18.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

robbyk (2012-04-21)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    You cannot upgrade the socket for that you need a new motherboard. But you can upgrade the CPU as long as it is for a socket LGA775. A Q6600 is a good one but there are many others even higher specs. Amazon.co.uk do many versions of socket 775 processors. Such as this one.
    Depends on how much you want to spend as processors are not cheap. Probably can get same on amazon.com for USA.

May be worth investing in a new motherboard bundle with the later processors as they can be as cheap as just the processor but come with memory, cooling, etc and are fully tested. Not sure who does motherboard bundles in USA but Novatech do them in UK.
    My HP support page states the following:

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    • Intel Core 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx
    • Intel Core 2 Duo (W) E8xxx
    • Intel Core 2 Quad (K) up to Q6600
    • Core 2 Duo E6x00 (C) up to E6700
    • Core 2 Duo E4x00 (C) up to E4400
    Since the "Q" processor is not listed, does that imply even tho the processor you list is an LGA 775 processor, it is not supported or is it rather, that my HP product page is simply outdated, perhaps prepared prior to the "Q" processors?

Am I to gather that as long as it is a Socket 775, it will work or are there other motherboard limitations?

Thanks again!

Thanks

Intel Core 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Desktop

CliNT's suggestion looks valid according to your HP quote.

Thanks
    Go to the manufacturer website (HP) of your computer, track down and read the BIOS version upgrade information sheet.
    These will usually tell you what socket 775 processors are supported, unequivocally.

I'd be very suprised if it didn't support yours.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

robbyk (2012-04-30)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Go to the manufacturer website (HP) of your computer, track down and read the BIOS version upgrade information sheet.
    These will usually tell you what socket 775 processors are supported, unequivocally.

I'd be very suprised if it didn't support yours.
    OK I think I see now, I misread my own HP info. So for Quads, I can do either Yorkfield Q9xxxx or the K (whatever that is) up to Q6600.

So now my question becomes, what is apropos among this page:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...rnid=676578011

(Whew, that is a long link!)

As I look through this page I find:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Q6600-Qu...811519&sr=1-23

This is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core Processor, 2.40 GHz, 8M L2 Cache, LGA 775

Which must be the Intel Core 2 Quad (K) up to Q6600. In other words, the best I can do in this group.

So my Question: Is this a big performance upgrade, ie going from a Intel Core 2 Duo E7400. I don't know the difference in performance between a duo and a quad.

Just as an FYI, my DAW is hitting cpu usage >30 - 40% prior to mixing (ie before plugins where the real hit comes in) so I am interested in a hefty boost for a reasonable price ($159 for the above). DAW starts crashing at levels jsut above this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyk View Post
    So for Quads, I can do either Yorkfield Q9xxxx or the K (whatever that is) up to Q6600.
    For the Intel i5 and i7, at least, I understand that a 'K' at the end means that they are overclocKable! So perhaps the same meaning applies to the Q9xxxx series? I don't think my Q8300 is overclockable...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    For the Intel i5 and i7, at least, I understand that a 'K' at the end means that they are overclocKable! So perhaps the same meaning applies to the Q9xxxx series? I don't think my Q8300 is overclockable...
    I see now K is for codename Kentsfield

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK I found most of what I need to know at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...r-numbers.html and http://ark.intel.com/. I guess what I am lacking is how much of a performance boost will I get from "any" upgrade and, I suppose, that depends on my DAW software Cakewalk Sonar and associated vst's.

Thank you everyone. I'm upgrading to a 2nd internal drive now, maxing my system out at 8 GB RAM (from 6) and will followup with a cpu upgrade if my system is still up against a wall when I approach 60 + tracks per project.

Thanks
    The processor upgrade to the Core 2 Quad at 3Ghz alone will be a modest overall performance increase over what you have now.
    But add up all your planned upgrades and you'll end up with a fairly responsive system.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [*]Intel Core 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx
    [*]Intel Core 2 Quad (K) up to Q6600

Both of these Q type are in your list. Note the (Y) (K) designation which I think means it is overclock-able or not but not sure.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As the info says, the 'Q9xxx Y' chips are fine.

I think the caveat is for Q8xxx series chips, which use a FSB speed of 1333MHz, as opposed to Q9xxx, which use a 1066MHz FSB.
    The faster 1333 bus speed appeared towards the end of Core 2 series, so a lot of MB's seem to be 1066 only.
    As is the case with your board, unless there is a BIOS upgrade, but I doubt it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Am I to imply from this discussion that XP can run on a quad without getting hopelessly confused? Has anybody actually done this?

Thanks
    Yes, I've run XP on a quad. No big deal.
    Not as efficient at utilization of all the cores, but can be done without problems.
    The above processor (Q9650) ran my XP system for a year or two until I moved up to Windows 7.

The Q9650 will have a locked multiplier, so no multiplier overclocking possile. If the OP's bus speed on his board
    is less than 1333MHz, that'll eat into the performance of the Q9650.

The Q9650 was part of a home build of mine I did a few years back when XP was still the dominant os.
    You gotto make sure the rest of your hardware is up to snuff (board with a default 1333 bus speed) at some point
    a simple component upgrade won't be enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast