Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Get Free Cell and Solitaire working in Win 8 CP

Here is the trick: It works, I am now playing Free Cell in Win 8 CP

1) Copy the Microsoft Games folder from Win 7 Program Files folder to the Program Files Folder in Win 8 CP. Copy the entire folder. If you have a 32 Bit system you would copy the Microsoft Games folder from Program Files (x86). If you have a 64 Bit system you would copy the Microsoft Games folder from Program Files.

2) Copy 'cardgames.dll' from C, windows, system32

3) Paste the .dll directly into each of these folders you have created in Win 8 CP: Free Cell, Hearts, Solitaire, Spyder Solitaire. I have shown the Free Cell folder below. The other 3 folders are similar.

FreeCell.jpg

Now just apply this patch: Sorry, the patch is no longer available. This link is broken so I have removed it. It only worked during the beta test period. Now that there are Free Cell and other Solitaire games available from the Win 8 App Store, these are no longer necessary.

That's it. It really works. I'm playing the Free Cell now.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-12-11 at 05:34.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,

Interesting workaround. I assume that the full set of Microsoft games will be available in the RTM version, or even release candidates - time will tell.

In general, one needs to be careful not to violate the Win7 EULA by copying elements of that OS to another platform. I doubt very much if Microsoft will do anything about it because this is encouraging people to experiment with the Win8 CP and that is in Microsoft's interest; but nonetheless, it might be in breach of the Win7 EULA.

By the way, is the Dropbox account yours or somebody else's and is the executable safe? If it came from elsewhere, can you post a link to the originating article - just for safety sake.

Thanks
    It is not mine. I did find this in another Forum. It is working fine on my PC. I do have up to date Images in case something unexpected happened. I do not have a source to post for the executable unfortunately. I will attempt to see if I can find it and post back.

I would also thing these games will be included in the released version of Win 8. They have been included in every version of Windows, I believe. I cannot see MS changing that. Since MS is encouraging people to test this beta, I do not believe this would go against the Eula although I am not a lawyer. They have encourage people to develop apps and install apps and report problems and report things that work. That is what this testing phase is all about.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes, I assume they will be included soon too.

I think we had crossed wires on the EULA: It's the Win7 EULA that I referred to, not the Win8 CP EULA. If one copies elements of the Windows 7 OS to anywhere else, it might be in breach of the Windows 7 EULA and that may have implications.

I too am not a lawyer, and have no reason to expect that MS would do anything, but worth noting that copying dll's from Win7 might be in breach of the Windows 7 License.

Thanks
    Edit, by The Doctor:

I recently installed an old MahJongg game from 1990, which came on a single floppy disk, to Win-8/CP/32 and it installed and ran. Win-8 did stop and ask me if I wanted to Activate 16 bit compatibility. No problem!

16 bit programs will NOT run on Win-8/CP/64.

I'm enjoying the heck out of running that old game on Win-8/CP.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-05-02 at 19:40.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I agree, I just wanted to get my Free Cell game working. I purchased my Win 7 (and my Win 95, Win 98, Win Me, Win XP and Win Vista) which all had these simple games included. I believe that ultimately Win 8 will also have these games included. They just aren't in the beta. This is a method to transfer my legally obtained and activated Win 7 card games to my legally obtained and activated Win 8 CP OS. Yes I had to use a patch that someone developed (not sure who, not sure what the patch does, but it works) to allow the card games to work. I also do not believe MS will cause me problems for doing this. They do want me to be happy using Win 8 CP with the thought that ultimately I will like it enough to buy Win 8 when it is released. Having an operational Free Cell game is one way that I will be happy with Win 8 CP. I do enjoy this one simple game.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think there are two points to be considered here.

• First, Microsoft undoubtedly wish as many people to download, install and use the Win 8 CP and upcoming RP. It is in their interest for power users to play with these releases and that includes experimenting with the OS.
    • Second, nobody has purchased Windows 7 or any earlier version of a Windows operating system. We have purchased a licence to use the software and we agreed to be bound by that licence. We do not own it, nor do we have the legal right to copy elements of it, or any other restricted licensed software, unless allowed by the licence conditions.

I have no expectation that the Microsoft legal dept would take any action regarding copying games files from any Windows release for use in the Win 8 beta products. But it is a slippery slope. What happens if, when Windows 8 is released for retail purchase, we find there is a feature in Windows 7 SP1 that is not included in Windows 8? Is it legal to enable it in Windows 8 by copying files from Windows 7 because we purchased Windows 7? No, it is not: because the licence we agreed to when installing Windows 7 forbids copying elements of the product. The restrictions come from the Windows 7 licence, not from Microsoft's desire for us to experiment with Windows 8 CP

Please understand; the purpose of my cautionary note is not to be a kiljoy, but to ensure that readers have a balanced view which notes that copying licensed software has the potential to be illegal.

Let's respect that position and all work within our own conscience.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-04-29 at 19:12. Reason: double typed a word

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,I tried your workaround but for some reason I cannot paste the cardgames.dll into the relevant folders. Any ideas as to what I can do about this?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Did you copy the entire MS Games folder from Win 7 Programs folder to the Win 8 RP Programs folder? Did you copy the Win 7 cardgames.dll file from the Win 7, windows, system32 folder? Did you try both Right Click, copy and Ctrl+C to copy the .dll file from the Win 7 folder to the clipboard?

I would also try Right Click, Paste and Ctrl+V for the paste operation to the 4 folders shown.

It worked very well for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, yes to your questions and yes I tried all options for the paste operation shown. I then used the Everything search app to search for cardgames.dll and it found it in 2 other Windows folders, apart from System 32. I was able to copy and paste the dll file from one of those folders to the Solitaire folder in Win 8 RP, and I then applied the patch and now I have Solitaire working in Win 8 RP.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    Yes, I assume they will be included soon too.

I think we had crossed wires on the EULA: It's the Win7 EULA that I referred to, not the Win8 CP EULA. If one copies elements of the Windows 7 OS to anywhere else, it might be in breach of the Windows 7 EULA and that may have implications.

I too am not a lawyer, and have no reason to expect that MS would do anything, but worth noting that copying dll's from Win7 might be in breach of the Windows 7 License.
    I believe you're correct on the EULA about coping from earlier editions of Windows. I can't remember where I saw it though I believe it was back when the Consumer Preview came out and people began customizing more.
    Joe

Thanks
    Roy, I'm glad you got it working. I just wanted my Free Cell. I enjoy it to relieve stress. If MS wishes me to remove it, they can surely ask me. They want us to test Win 8 and that is what I am doing.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bump

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello...I've tried to make the games work on my W8 but it doesn't work for me and I don't know why .... I copied the files from Program Files and not from Program Files (x86) because the games were in that folder and not in the other...This could be the reason? Can anyone help me? Those games are my life...joking

Thanks
    Did you copy the entire folder from the Program Files Folder in Win 7 to the exact same from in Win 8. Did you Copy 'cardgames.dll' from C (Win 7), windows, system32 then
    paste the cardgames.dll directly into each of these folders you have created in Win 8 RP: Free Cell, Hearts, Solitaire, Spyder Solitaire as shown in my original post? Did you then run the Games Patcher I show in my first post? This should work.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-12-09 at 17:15.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast