Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    That is definite! This patch was used during Win 8 CP in early 2012. It is now invalid.
    Hmmm. I accept why you think that there is no need for this patch any more and understand why you may wish you had never brought it to WS's attention in the first place. That said, I don't believe that it's appropriate to post falsehoods here to try to 'undo' the latter (if indeed that is your intent).

The fact is that the patch which you apparently temporarily provided access to still exists where it was apparently developed, is still being actively discussed there this month (with people getting advice on how to use it in special cases, e.g., other languages), and said discussion includes the unequivocal statement "Confirmed working on Windows 8 RTM". In other words, it is no more 'invalid' than it ever was, and your phrasing "it is NOW (emphasis mine) invalid" suggests that legality is not what you were talking about - since by that metric it has ALWAYS been invalid if it EVER was - but rather that you are claiming that it worked on pre-release versions of Win8 but no longer does on the RTM.

That said, I'm certainly not going to post a link if you in your role as WS moderator think it would be inappropriate: I'm simply correcting what appear to be erroneous statements on your part, sympathetic though I may be to what I suspect was your motivation for making them.

Thanks
    The invalid I mentioned is the web link I had originally posted. The web link is now broken and has been removed. Hence the patcher is invalid from that source. I guess I was not clear enough in this thread. The link was broken and I have no idea where to find the new link, and have no intention of trying to find a new valid link.

I did a lot of searching before finally finding that web site early in the Win 8 beta days because there was not a Free Cell available during the beta test period. There now is a Solitaire Collection available.

I do NOT (my emphasis) wish I had never brought it up back in March. At that time many people were asking about the card games and I found a work around. This was only brought up because there was not the availability of the card games. Now there are card games available so I do not have the need to find a work around. As far as posting "falsehoods to undo the latter" I am doing nothing of the sort. Because I left out the web page link is broken makes no significant difference and I do take offense to your insinuation that I am intentional propagating falsehoods.

Folks, to clear things up since I obviously accidentally left out some "very vital" information, The original link to a web site that provided the patcher file was broken, I assume by whomever had originally posted it. Since the link was broken, I went into the original post, posted I believe in April, and removed the broken link. Since I use the games now provided by MS I have no intention of trying to find another workaround for those that do wish to use the Win 7 variety. During those times there were some glitches with those games that I was willing to endure since I enjoyed playing the games. I now prefer the games provided by MS in the app store. I am sorry if my statements in this thread confused anyone about why the patcher was invalid. It is the original link to the patcher web site that was broken.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-12-11 at 05:37.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There was something about your phrasing that triggered my BS detector, but perhaps it hasn't returned to its normal setting now that the political hijinks of the past year are winding down a bit. If my suspicions were unfounded, I sincerely apologize.

To make it clear, I'm not talking about 'another workaround' but about the same patch (unless there was another named microsoft.games.patcher.1.2-patch.exe that was also posted for a while on a dropbox account). And when you stated "This patch was used during Win 8 CP in early 2012. It is now invalid." the word "It" clearly referred (even if unintentionally) to the patch, not to some particular location in which it might be found.

Since you seem to have no objection to providing a link here, and since at least two people have recently requested one, the relevant thread is located at http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...-in-Windows-8?

Thanks
    Like I mentioned if my wording was confusing, I'm sorry. As stated the link to the patcher site was broken when I tried it the other day. I guess I assumed the patcher was no longer available. If it is indeed then those that would still like to use this method can check there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks

It works

Not to beat a dead horse but FYI & FWIW I recently copied my Windows 7 64-bit Windows Games folder to my new Windows 8 64-bit system plus the CardGames.dll file, which then didn't work on the new machine. I then downloaded the microsoft.games.patcher.1.2-patch.exe, ran it, responded to Windows Security/Defender to Accept it, and it ran. The Windows 7 games now play on the Windows 8 machine.

I believe if the Windows 7 games had been 32-bit I would have had to put them in the Windows 8's Program Files (x86) folder for them to work rather than the Program Files folder, but still needing to be patched.

The info I used to do this I found at a posting here: http://www.intowindows.com/play-wind...-in-windows-8/

The Solitaire Suite from the Windows Store works without being patched.

hth
    Ed_P

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This would be really great, but I have a new computer that was preloaded with Windows 8 only. There IS no Windows 7 to fall back on. What do I do in that case?

Thanks
    There is a very nice Solitaire games app in the App Store. It is the MS Solitaire Collection. I actually prefer it better than the Win 7 variety. Give it a try. It's free.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Gee! I didn't know that!!!

I just copied Sol.exe and Cards.dll from XP to Win-7 or 8 in the root directory and then made a shortcut for sol.exe to my desktop and I sit here and play my old favorite SOL with no problems. As long as the .dll file is in the same directory as the .exe file, everything just works.

I guess it doesn't know it's not supposed to work, so it does.
    Kind of like the bumblebee, that doesn't know he can't fly, so he does.

My little trick may not work for everyone, on every PC running every version of Windows, but....
    "Works for me!"

Cheers Mates!
    Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just got this new laptop with win8 and downloaded solitaire hd played it twice but it is no where to be found.windows desktop search comes up with nothing. So where did it go?

Thanks
    Did you download it from the Win 8 Store, or from the internet by normal means. If the Win 8 Store it should be on the Win 8 Start Screen.

If from the internet conventionally, try to download it again and keep close track of where it is downloaded to (what folder) and where it is installed (what is the installation folder)

Most apps are installed in Programs Files or Programs Files (x86). The former is the 64 Bit folder, the later is the 32 Bit folder.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The win 8 store says I own it so I can't download it again. If I remember right I tried to put it on my desktop and have not seen it since. I did a search in both places and nothing.

Thanks
    Download everything search from Voidtools.com

Plug solitaire.exe in the search box.

Jerry

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Pops1944 (2013-03-26)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Jerry. Everything found it with 2 letters typed. WindowsApp is hidden by default, I should have known that when I couldn't find the WindowsApp folder

Thanks
    Happy to hear it worked.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    LOL The Nice folks at Microsoft have decided that I don't need to get into that folder(WindowsApps). I tried to take ownership but I'm not able to. It's grayed out. Toshiba was less then no help with this. I love Microsoft. Trustedinstaller is the owner. Lets see, I downloaded it, I installed it, am I not the Trustedinstaller. Guess not cause I'm denied entrance. All I should have to do is right click and run as Admin.
    and it should open up. I love Microsoft.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast