Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

PC will no longer read SD Card

My desktop PC (Win7 Pro, 64 bit) has 2 SD Card readers. One built in to the PC itself, the other, a slot on the side of my Dell monitor. Both of these - until last week - would read and write to my various SD cards with no problem. Cards ranging in size from 1 to 16Gb. Both readers worked fine with SDHC cards.

NOW, when I insert a card, I hear the usual "bing-bong" to signify that I've inserted a removable disk and the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" icon becomes available. But if I double-click on the disk/drive in Explorer it tells me to insert a removeable disk into that particular letter.

I have also determined that Windows know that there's *something* in the drive, as Disk Manager shows a drive of the correct size, with the partition type marked as RAW.

The cards themselves are fine - they work perfectly well in my cameras, and more importantly, they work perfectly fine in my laptop's SD Card reader.

So something in Windows has gone amiss - but what? Something that's caused 2 totally different readers to fail simultaneously. I've removed and reinstalled both readers with known good drivers and that hasn't sorted it. I even tried to format (in Disk Manager) one of the cards but it did nothing, just sat there for ages. Taking that card to the other PC or a camera it then formats just fine in just a few seconds. And still doesn't work in my desktop PC.

Any ideas or help would be gratefully tried!

Steven

Thanks
    Do these Readers show up in Device Manager. I have SD Host Adapter in my Device Manager. If so I would delete them in Device Manager and reboot. Upon reboot Windows will reload the appropriate S/W for them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Check to ensure that "ready boost" is not active and attempting to use the drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi CLiNT and Ted,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ted, yes they show up in Device Manager and as noted in my final paragraph I removed both and reinstalled with known good drivers in case something had managed to bork both sets of drivers for both readers simultaneously. That didn't fix the problem.

CLiNT, no ReadyBoost isn't active. In fact I can't activate it for my SD Cards as the ReadyBoots prefs tab doesn't appear under the drive's properties. Explorer thinks I have nothing in the slot. ReadyBoost *is* working correctly (although I don't use it) with USB flash drives.

Steven
    Last edited by nevets1; 2012-04-22 at 08:15. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Have you tried resetting Autoplay back to default settings?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi CLiNT,

I hadn't because Autoplay doesn't activate when any SD Card is inserted. (It used to.) Autoplay still works as expected when plugging in a USB flash drive or external HDD or an optical disk.

I've just checked to see what would happen, if anything, if Autoplay was disabled, but it doesn't make any difference.

Steven

Thanks
    Do any of your SDHC cards have a write protection tab that may have inadvertently been switched on?

What has been done to the system in the time prior to the card issue, and after the last known good read/write to the cards?
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-22 at 16:27.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi CLiNT,

Again, thanks for your thoughts. No the write protect tabs haven't been accidentally switched on on all my cards.

"What was done to the system?" I guess you mean regarding software? Nothing new has been installed, the desktop machine in particular is a work at home PC (as opposed to a family machine or a games machine)

However, it's probably been a month or so since the last time the cards worked in this particular PC, so there's been all the usual Windows Updates that you'd expect over a month or so. And a load of Adobe software seems to have been updated recently.

But of course the same updates would've also been added to my laptop PC and although I haven't mentioned them before, also to the Windows Bootcamp partitions on my 2 Mac machines.

As you can see this is both puzzling and frustrating. I have 3 other machines where the cards work fine.

I've also done an experiment today:

I took one of my SD Cards and using Disk Manager (which showed it as "RAW") formatted it. It was an 8Gb card and it took about 30 minutes to format which I thought was a long time. After formatting, Windows recognised the card and I was able to read and write to it. However after I ejected the card and reinserted it, it went back to showing as "RAW" and yet again, Windows refused to access it.

I then put the card in my camera where it was recognised fine, I could even see the pics I'd copied back to it while Windows *was* seeing it properly.

So there's *something* wrong with just one of my 4 computers which is stopping Windows from seeing SD Cards correctly. But what the devil could it be?

Steven

Thanks
    Yeah, sound like a Windows 7 issue specific to only this one computer.
    If this is your work-at-home computer, how often does it get shut down?

Try shutting down your computer, turn the PSU switch to the off position, then press the front power switch.
    Leave the computer off for about 5 min, then restart everything. See if a cold shutdown helps. It has been known on occasion
    to help with similar issues.

If the above doesn't help, try assigning a different/dedicated drive drive letter to each of the card readers, followed by the same cold shutdown/restart as above.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It gets shut down every night at about 6pm, fires up the next morning about 8am, so that's already covered. Will try your other suggestion tomorrow. Thanks. Steven

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am having the same problem with Win7 32bit. Prior to the March 2013 update Win7 would read the drive contents on my Nook tablet, SD cards and USB connected drives. Now a windows pop-up indicates that I have to reformat my drives. Chkdsk indicates that the drives are operating correctly and all cards and disks are readable on XP. Reformatting the Nook and my Nikon camera cards is not an option, as the devices would no longer be operable. A few other web discussion groups contain similar threads with some dating back to 2009. The similarity in all the discussions was that no one knew a solution.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi rdekoschak,

Yeah, sure sounds like you're experiencing a similar problem to me. And like you, I've seen the same thing mentioned in other groups. It's been over a year for me and I've never been able to find a solution. Reformatting my main PC is not an option!

My workaround is to use my laptop to get pics off my SD cards then use my home network to send them across to the desktop PC for archiving. Annoying but usable. Cheers.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is now 2014
    Got a ASUS Transformer AIO on Win 8
    ......and I got the same problem

Did you ever found a solution ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Watford,

Nope, never found a solution to this particular problem. I'm still using the same desktop PC and I still can't read SD cards in either reader. I'd posted the same question on a couple of forums apart from this one, and despite a few kind people giving me all sorts of suggestions, nothing ever worked. So as per my last post above, I continue to use my laptop to extract my photos then transfer them to the desktop PC after doing so.

Steven

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If your PC is also a Dell, have you tried Dell's Diagnostics with and without the card(s) inserted ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-01-07 at 04:54.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast