2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Installed to E:....why?

Last week I installed Win XP on a new system, and the darn thing ended up with Windows on E:. Several years ago I knew why, but can't remember and my searches aren't giving me an answer.

FWIW we tried using it this way but too many apps were having fits.

-John O

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sounds like you already had the disk set up and Windows decided that there was only sufficient space on E:, or you upgraded and chose to install to a new disk.

The best mechanism is to delete all partitions on the disk and go from there.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well...this is a new machine fresh from the assembler, I received it with no hdd. I installed XP to a brand new HDD. I think it had the DVD as C:, and one or two of the memory card slots in there too, before E.

I'll definitely scrub all the partitions before I go again.

Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John-O View Post
    I received it with no hdd. I installed XP to a brand new HDD. I think it had the DVD as C:, and one or two of the memory card slots in there too, before E.
    Your card reader was the culprit here. That's a common result if you create the OS partition at the same time as you're installing Windows. See my webpage here for an explanation of the phenomenon.

The solution is very simple. Wipe all partitions and start over. When you get to the XP-Setup part where you have to create a partition, create it. Then reboot, start Setup over again, and continue with installing XP.

Dan Goodell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dan....thanks. I had an idea the card readers were the issue but your explanation clears it up. I ended up wiping and restarting with good results.