Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Unsecured WiFi network at motels won't access Internet

Most motels and hotels offer WiFi through an unsecured network connection. On my Win 7 Ultimate this shows up as a Public Network (as opposed to Work or Home) and shows up as "Connected" but with no Internet connection. About half the time, a window pops up automatically to change this. When I choose Work, I connect to the Internet. The rest of the time that window never shows and I can't get it even clicking on every choice in Network Settings. This Public network will not connect to the Interent even with Windows Firewall turned completely off. This was never a problem with XP (different laptop) or Vista (same laptop but Yuccky OS).

Anyone know how to fix this. The motels usually have a tech support number listed which never answers.

Thanks
    Are you having problems in Australia? New Zealand? Europe? South Africa? United Kingdom? or somewhere else?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Public network should still work - Windows tightens access restrictions for a public network, but this is to your machine, not from.
    As long as you can get an IP via DHCP and assuming the network doesn't have a firewall that requires authentication, all should be well.

If you can provide some details of the network settings when using one of these networks we can hazard a guess, but it'll be hard without a connection to post here.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    1-BATcher) Sorry about the location. Problems are all in the US. The only other Internet access I have used has been in Canada or Europe where I used the Hotel computer and had no problem. The drawback is that I don't have my bookmarks and can't use my favorite eMail client. I assumed the problem I have is somehow with Windows 7 Ultimate restrictions since I never had problems with XP or Vista. That assumption could, of course, be wrong.

2- Paul T) Thanks for looking. I apparently get an IP since Windows 7 identifies the connection. I don't remember the all details of the Network Connections at the various places across the Midwest or Coast (USA). The Win 7 Control Panel shows "Network" as Public Network (as I mentioned) and the "Connection" panel identifies the connection by the name assigned by the hotel (such as eithernet25 or ChoiceHotels) and displays information such as "unsecured" but nothing in terms of an IP address. As I mentioned, if I can get the "Network" pop up a window giving me choices, then Work will allow Internet access but not Public. Doesn't that sound like a Win 7 problem -- I certainly can't change the Hotel network. Not arguing, of course, just guessing.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you can reach the internet when the network connection is set to Work, but not when it is set to Public, your Windows Firewall might be playing a part.

Go the the Advanced setup of the Firewall and verify that outgoing connections are allowed in the Public profile.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Tinto Tech Thanks. That was my first thought. However, as mentioned, the problem persists even with Windows Firewall turned completely off.

Just to double check, however, I verified that when the Firewall is on, the Public Profile is set the same as the Private and Domain Profiles; e.g. "Outbound connections that do not match a rule are allowed." There are no rules.