2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adobe Flash player installed McAfee Security Scan Plus

I just installed the latest version of the 64-bit Adobe Flash Player 11 plug-in manually, because Firefox had been open and prevented automatic installation -- or rather, as so often happens, Windows may have buried a dialog box which demands a response under other open windows. Adobe also installed McAfee Security Scan Plus without my giving permission. What does this app do? Does it only affect Flash or would it steal resources when I already have another antivirus program (Microsoft Security Essentials)? Well, I uninstalled MSSP from the Control Panel Programs and Features list. It was only 8.3 MB -- maybe a teaser? Does installation leave my computer vulnerable?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That "optional extra" has been coupled with Adobe Flash downloads for a couple of years now, but it should already be history as you've uninstalled it.

It checks a few things and tries to sell you McAfee solutions: McAfee Security Scan Plus

Bruce

Thanks
    There should be check boxes to "Opt Out" of these add on S/W packages, but you have to read everything carefully. Adobe and Java both seem to include these "piggyback" packages now. I realize many of the lesser know, smaller S/W vendors include these "piggybacked" apps (they are paid to do so), but it seems many of the bigger names are doing so now as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy