2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Execute an INSERT INTO where table is named on a Set statement field

Hi, All! it has been some time since I've been playing with Access database, I was trying to brush up a little . I have the below event procedure that is giving me debug errors and can't see why it not executing the insert into with the given text content pulled from the Set named expressions...Any guru help is super appreciated!

Private Sub CurrentCondition_AfterUpdate()

Dim strSQL As String
    Dim DB As DAO.Database
    Dim RS As DAO.Recordset

If Not IsNull(Me!CurrentCondition) Then

Set DB = CurrentDb
    Set RS = DB.OpenRecordset("tblOptionsCurrentConditionAction List", dbOpenDynaset)
    Set NameList = RS![ActionList]
    Set TableList = RS![TableInput]
    Set TitleList = RS![TitleField]

Do While RS.EOF = False

DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO " & "'" & TableList & "'" & " (PID, " & " '" & TitleList & "'" & ",CreatedBy,CreatedDate) VALUES (Forms!frmPersonnel!PID," & "'" & NameList & "'" & ",CurrentUser(),Date())"

RS.MoveNext

Loop

Set NameList = Nothing
    Set TableList = Nothing
    Set TitleList = Nothing
    RS.Close
    Set RS = Nothing
    Set DB = Nothing

Exit Sub

End Sub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Like this is rather hard to figure out what is going on. I suggest that you store the SQL statement in a string and Debug.Print the string value. That should allow you to see the SQL being executed and check it for errors.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, Ruirib! thanks for the response. My problem is I know after the INSERT INTO you have to state the name of the table, then respective fields where i want the VALUES data to be inserted. I looking for a way how to make the table name be chosen by the SET TableList but is not acknowledging
    " & "'" & TableList & "'" & " as the proper table name; how can that be accomplish? The same goes for the other SET values. When I place a table name and respective fields it works but I want to be able to place the information in a single table and the code copy all required text accordingly.

Administrator
    Thanks
    A normal variable (not an object) does not need set. Try removing the set and check the values of those 3 variables.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As ruirib suggested, put the SQL statement into a string variable before you try to execute it, and then do a debug print and copy it into a new query and see what it looks like. I suspect you are having problems with single and double quotes.
    Wendell

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WendellB For This Useful Post:

Lastcall (2012-04-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, this is what I got...Everything looks good, in the local window, until trying to execute the RunSQL, there is a "enter parameter value" prompt for the variables already established (TableList, Title List, NameList). It doesnt want to utilize the value of the variables in the INSERT INTO statement. See below:

Dim DB As DAO.Database
    Dim RS As DAO.Recordset
    Dim TableList As String
    Dim TitleList As String
    Dim NameList As String

If Not IsNull(Forms!frmPersonnel!CurrentCondition) Then

Set DB = CurrentDb
    Set RS = DB.OpenRecordset(NAME:="SELECT * FROM tblOptionsCurrentConditionActionList WHERE Condition = '" & Forms!frmPersonnel!CurrentCondition & "'", Type:=dbOpenDynaset)
    TableList = RS![TableInput]
    TitleList = RS![TitleField]
    NameList = RS![ActionList]

Do While RS.EOF = False

DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO TableList (PID,TitleList,CreatedBy, CreatedDate) VALUES (Forms!frmPersonnel!PID,NameList,CurrentUser(),Dat e())"

RS.MoveNext

Loop

RS.Close
    Set RS = Nothing
    Set DB = Nothing

End If

End Sub

Administrator
    Thanks
    That SQL statement is not correct. I don't know why you changed the first version of the RunSQL command, where you were actually getting the value of the variables. Replace the last RunSQL command by your first version for that command.

If it doesn't work, please assign the SQL to a variable and debug print the value, as it has been suggested before.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Lastcall (2012-04-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I think I got what you all were suggesting; I did the debug print and it is displaying what I would like to insert into the output table; I remove the single quote before executing the runSQL using the REPLACE function. See below, thanks you guys for all the help:

Dim DB As DAO.Database
    Dim RS As DAO.Recordset
    Dim TableList As String
    Dim TitleList As String
    Dim strSQL As String

If Not IsNull(Me!CurrentCondition) Then

Set DB = CurrentDb
    Set RS = DB.OpenRecordset(NAME:="SELECT * FROM tblOptionsCurrentConditionActionList WHERE Condition = '" & Me!CurrentCondition & "'", Type:=dbOpenDynaset)
    TableList = RS![TableInput]
    TitleList = RS![TitleField]
    Set NameList = RS![ActionList]

Do While RS.EOF = False

strSQL = Replace( "INSERT INTO " & "'" & TableList & "'" & "(PID," & "'" & TitleList & "'" & ",CreatedBy, CreatedDate) VALUES (Forms!frmPersonnel!PID," & "'" & NameList & "'" & ",CurrentUser(),Date())","'","",1,4)

DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL

RS.MoveNext

Loop

Set NameList = Nothing
    RS.Close
    Set RS = Nothing
    Set DB = Nothing

Exit Sub
    End If

End Sub

Below is what the debug print is showing which is what I would like to send to the output table:

INSERT INTO tblDataIDDocuments (PID,IDType,CreatedBy, CreatedDate) VALUES (Forms!frmPersonnel!PID,'ID',CurrentUser(),Date())
    INSERT INTO tblDataIDDocuments (PID,IDType,CreatedBy, CreatedDate) VALUES (Forms!frmPersonnel!PID,'COMPLETE AUDIT',CurrentUser(),Date())
    INSERT INTO tblDataIDDocuments (PID,IDType,CreatedBy, CreatedDate) VALUES (Forms!frmPersonnel!PID,'DRIVER LICENSE',CurrentUser(),Date())
    INSERT INTO tblDataIDDocuments (PID,IDType,CreatedBy, CreatedDate) VALUES (Forms!frmPersonnel!PID,'PNOK',CurrentUser(),Date( ))
    INSERT INTO tblDataIDDocuments (PID,IDType,CreatedBy, CreatedDate) VALUES (Forms!frmPersonnel!PID,'GEAR ISSUE',CurrentUser(),Date())
    INSERT INTO tblDataIDDocuments (PID,IDType,CreatedBy, CreatedDate) VALUES (Forms!frmPersonnel!PID,'PASSPORT',CurrentUser(),D ate())
    Last edited by Lastcall; 2012-04-25 at 17:52. Reason: Update for Final Results

Administrator
    Thanks
    You do need to remove the single quotes from the table name and the IDtype column.

Code:
    strSQL = "INSERT INTO & TableList & "(PID,"& TitleList & ",CreatedBy, CreatedDate) VALUES (Forms!frmPersonnel!PID," & "'" & NameList & "'" & ",CurrentUser(),Date())"