Silver Lounger
    Thanks

HP C7250 Printer Offline

Hi All,

I seem to be having a problem with my printer (HP C7250 AIO connected to Win 7) and the wireless connection between it and my PC.

The w'less connection worked fine as recently as Sunday night - last time I used it before today. The first thing I did today, however, was send a fax. When I tried to use the printer shortly after that, however, the PC said the printer was offline. This was in Word but I also tried Excel w/o any difference.

I've checked a few things: turning printer and the PC off, restarting the printer, printing in DPX mode (I have 2 logical printers configured), the HP troubleshooting board from where I downloaded a Diagnostic Utility that saw both printers but suggested I run the w'less setup procedure.

Tried the setup procedure on the printer. A few odd things: when it came to selecting a network ID, there were none visible. So I tried entering my network ID and encryption; printer couldn't find the router (sitting right next to it). So restored previous settings.

Printed out a Diagnostic Summary: Reported as FAIL. Radio On shown as Pass but Radio Working shown as Fail. Certainly this last item could explain alot.

I might also add that I can print using an Ethernet cable to connect the printer to the PC but don't like doing that (obviously in a pinch, I will).

The printer was bought about 3.5 years ago.

Time for a new printer? Any other suggestions?

TIA

Fred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe check your 'Home Group' advanced settings to make sure it is set to share printers. Also check printer properties to ensure sharing is enabled. Other than that it likely to be either something wrong in router settings Not finding DNS IP) or a faulty wireless card in printer.
    Does your router have A spare Ethernet port that you could connect the Ethernet cable to to see if router can find it then. If it does you could go into router settings and check to see what IP address it gives for the printer in case the printer has suddenly decided to change its IP address.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-04-25 at 16:12.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clive,

It does seem that all settings are appropriate - printer is shared, etc. Not that anything would have changed after it worked fine (mine is the only PC in the network).

The router does have 4 Ethernet ports, all free. I had tried connecting the Ethernet cable to the router and that didn't help (I had mentioned that I had connected the Ethernet cable directly to my PC and that had worked). But based on what you suggested, the fact that the printer wasn't found when the Ethernet cable was plugged into the router may suggest the printer's IP address may have gotten flipped. I'll have to see about that.

However, given the "Radio Working" = Fail indication on the report, it seems that the wireless card in the printer may be at fault. Also the fact that the printer can't be found when plugged into the router (but can when plugged into the hub) seems more than just a card problem. Not sure what.

In the mean time, I connected the printer via Ethernet cable to my hub and that works, although I haven't reconfigured my DPX virtual printer yet to the hub.

Thanks.

Fred

PS - you may also want to apply for copyrights to cover your typing errors.