Lounger
    Thanks

How to associate lists

I need to be able to determine what associations documents have. To explain a little bit. We have documents that refer to other documents. I would like to be able to create a database that can show me the associations between each documents. I am willing to manaully (I have done several already) through all 300+ documents to determine the documents each one refers to. But once I have my lists, how to I group them.

For example: Document 1 refers to documents, 6, 9 & 23.

I don't know whether this is something I can do in Excel or Access. My Access database creation always seems to be so far between I am having to re-learn most things and, while I use Excel daily, I don't get into many advanced features.

thanks,

Bret

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I'd say Access is the way to go. I'd say two tables would do it, Document and Document Association. First one would keep an entry for each document. The other one would keep associations between documents. Tipically two columns here, ReferingDoc, ReferencedDoc would do it.

You can then query this 2nd table in any way you want. Quite easy to determine which documents a given document references, or which documents refence a given document.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I may be back. I had actually started this exact thing yesterday and then convinced myself it was probably more complex than that.

Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Sure thing, please post if you need further help .

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

Since you say that you are more familiar with Excel, I would just use a simple Table in Excel and then either just use the filter buttons in the table to see related documents, or to see it more neatly, then summarize the table with a Pivot table (see attached file)

This has been saved as a .xlsm file, as I have included a single Event macro on the Report sheet to automatically Refresh the Pivot Table every time the sheet is accessed. This will ensure that it always shows any dat that has been added to the source data, without having to remember to right click on the PT and choose Refresh.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards
    Roger Govier
    Microsoft Excel MVP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am disturbed by your assertion that you are 'willing to do it manually'. If you are usingWin 7 there is a search box (q.v. in Help), and there are third-party desktop search engines (notably Copernic Desktop Search) which are extremely powerful.