Lounger
    Thanks

HD Partition existing drive OR install new

I have a PC devoted to audio / music which I admittedly set up wrong. I trusted in bad advice when I 1st began home recording.

My issue: I did not partition the HD and, as a result, my OS and my audio are on the same drive. Ideally the proper setup is, C:\OS; D:\Audio & E:\Samples.

However, I was fine as a novice until I became an audio junkie and now my projects are too complex and my cpu / disc usage causes frequent audio dropouts, DAW crashes, etc. (I have recently posted a thread in Hardware about upgrading my cpu and received many great responses, thanks again)

Of course, I can install a 2nd internal HD (I presume) and just move my audio over BUT, I also want to upgrade to Win 7 at the same time. Win 7 is a VAST improvement in audio over Vista ( I waited because much of my software was not Win 7 compliant at the time).

So, my question is how do I best do this? I want to go from C:\Everything (Vista) to C:\OS; D:\Audio & E:\Samples (Win 7).

My PC is here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...334&CatId=2639

I have 300 GB free space.

I have heard it is not best to upgrade the OS unless the OS is new so I am worried about that. Can I install the OS on a 2nd internal HD from my recovery partition and then upgrade to Win 7, set it to master, etc

OR

Can I partition my current drive now (the simplest short term solution) and then just move the audio over and be done with it (sticking with Vista for now). If so, How do I partition a drive?

Thanks so much, I have not kept up with pc technology over the years so I am sure this sounds simple, but I am really hoping to get this done as it will VASTLY improve the stability of my projects!

My regards to this community. Robby K

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Robby,

You can download a free program like Partition Wizard or EaseUS Partition Master Home.
    Although both of these programs allow you to repartition w/o destroying your data you still REALLY NEED TO do an Image Backup before your start just in case. I'd recommend Macrium Reflect Free.
    Make the Windows PE Boot disk to use it's the best way IMHO to go.

Here's what you do after making the Image Backup.
    1. Make a second backup of only your Audio. For ease of putting it on the new partition and as insurance.
    2. Delete the audio from your C: drive and empty the recycle bin.
    3. Defrag the drive. {may not be necessary but can't hurt and will probably speed the repartitioning}
    4. Boot from the disk containing the partitioning software you chose. You can do this from within Windows but again I prefer to do this stuff with Windows out of the way.
    5. Shrink your current C: Drive to as small as you can get it. Of course leave some space for future program installs.
    6. Create your new drives from the freed space in the sizes you desire.
    7. Apply the changes and Reboot.
    8. Copy your audio from one of the backups, preferably the audio only one.
    9. Done.

I almost forgot. You might want to just move your entire Documents file to one of the new partitions and get it off of C: as well. You can search in the lounge as there are many threads on accomplishing this task already posted here.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-04-25 at 14:00.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

robbyk (2012-04-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'll check out the software tonight and rely on you this is an OK way to go (after an Image Backup); thanks, I was hoping I could do this but didn't know how.

So Vista has no partitioning tools, I'll need one of the free utilities you mentioned?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Retired Geek
    I see you suggest moving the my documents folder to another drive/partition. What I cannot quite understand is what this does for anyone.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Ideally, you should move all the content you had planned for D & E to an external drive temporarilly while you create the desired partitions.
    If your like me, and have many gigabytes worth of music, they should occupy their own dedicated internal drive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Hi Retired Geek
    I see you suggest moving the my documents folder to another drive/partition. What I cannot quite understand is what this does for anyone.
    I believe this segregates your data from your OS entirely. Lets say you do make an Image of your OS with all the apps installed on C. Then a month later something happens to your OS and you have to restore your OS from the created Image. Your data remains the same without having to restore it from backup. Just saves a step in the process.

I also have 3 partitions on my Laptop. C Drive (Win 7), D Drive (Data), E Drive (Win 8 CP). I have both OS's set up so I can access the data on the D Drive. This way if I change something from Win 7, then switch to Win 8 CP, the change will also be seen in Win 8 CP and vice versa. When I create an Image file, I include both Win 7 and Win 8 CP in the Image so I can restore either from this single Image file, still without touching my data. The data is backed up separately from the Images. After all my data is very important as well.

You may already be aware of all this, but others reading this might not. I just feel more secure knowing my data is stored separately from everything else on our PC's.

By the way I have used both the partitioning apps RG mentioned for these activities and both are excellent.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

robbyk (2012-04-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I backup my audio data to an external drive on a regular basis if not daily so that is taken care of, but thanks for the reminder...

Thanks
    Good for you! Unfortunately many that read these forums do not backup regularly or at all, so it never hurts to talk about backing up for their benefit.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy