jonandrews

Access v2 Conversion Problems (Access 2.00)

In trying to help a friend migrate his Win95 based small business networked system onto new machines, I have run into a complete block with his ancient Access 2.00 application. Neither A97 or A2000 will convert it & the reason appears to be that just two objects [macros's] do not have Read Design permission within the security set-up. We have all the passwords, and when logged on as ADMIN can alter absoutely everything else. I also cannot rename,copy, export or anything else to try & achieve a workaround. The original author of the system is, of course, long gone and the business has no disks or backups! . I would love to know if this is the total road block that it appears to be. As it stands, it looks like I will have to try & buy a copy of v2.00 (not easy !!!) and run with that, but it doesn't feel very good!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access v2 Conversion Problems (Access 2.00)

From what you said, I'm assuming you can see and edit these macros?
    Before trying anything, make a backup of old database (of course).

First, I'd try saving each macro to a new name, deleting the old macro, then renaming to original macro name. Since the new macro will be created under your current sign-on (admin), you should be able to convert then.

If that doesn't work, just delete the macros. Then recreate them manually in new database.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

jonandrews

Mark - thanks for your comments. I can only see the 2 macros as objects in the listing. I have tried exactly what you suggest, but am not allowed to do anything at all. The process you describe was suggested in the MS help section. They cannot be deleted, so even if I work round them within version 2.00, they are still there and prevent conversion of the whole database.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you tried importing them into an entirely new database in Access 2.0? I suspect their ownership may be corrupted, which will cause that kind of thing. Sometimes importing objects into a new database will solve the problem. If that fails, you might try looking at the ownership of those two objects. If its something other than <unknown> then try logging in with that login id, or alternatively try changing the ownership back to admin. If you can do that, then you can change the permission to what you need. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Then just create a new database and import everything you can, then convert that database.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

jonandrews

Mark - thanks, that's a good suggestion. I guess my reluctance to do that at this stage is because I would have to figure out 'blind' precisely what the macro's were doing in order to recreate them. Could be a workable last resort, though.
    Thanks.

jonandrews

Wendell - thanks for the suggestions. I have tried all the permutations of exporting, importing, copying etc that I can thing of, and they are all refused. I have also spent ages on the ownership trail - the ownership of the offending objects is shown as 'unknown', but again I am not allowed when loged on as Admin to change it. Thanks for your consideration - I will have another go at importing them into a new 2.00 database.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you tried changing the ownership of the macros? Usually you can do that if the database is owned by you - if not it's a crapshoot. If you can change the ownership, then you can change the admin priviledges once you have Admin as the owner. Otherwise you may be stuck as you suggest and have to do a blind guess as to how they are supposed to work. Good luck!
    Wendell

jonandrews

Thanks again Wendell. Yes, I've had a thorough go at ownership to try the route you suggest, but as you might guess, I am denied permission to change ownership of the macro's in question. Things are not looking good on this one!

jonandrews

Just to close this topic, I have now exhausted every idea and suggestion without success. So, I have obtained a copy of Access 2.00 (not easy here) and transplanted the vintage Access appliction on to their new network. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I was researching another security issue a couple of days ago, and stumbled across a fact I had forgotten. There is a security hole in Access 2 that will let you get at objects other than tables and queries. It is mentioned in the Microsoft white paper on security (Q165009) and is also apparently widely known and documented on the internet. It sounds as if you have pretty well wrapped up you situation, but if there is still a desire to upgrade to a more current version, that might provide you an approach. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

jonandrews

Thanks again Wendell. I'm please to say that I finally managed to get a copy of Access v2 and have got the old access application running fine on their new network of machines. This give them a robust operating base, but it does feel wrong to be using such old applications. I have downloaded the QB paper you mentioned, and will study it 'as a hobby' to see if I can upgrade them in the future. Regards.