Star Lounger
    Thanks

Repeat emails being downloaded from server

I'm running Thunderbird 12.0 on an XP machine. My ISP is BTInternet via Yahoo.

A few days ago I muttered to a friend that an email with an attachment he sent kept on being downloaded (10 or 12 times) - in the end I dumped him into my spam trap and the problem stopped. I thought it was one off, but it has started again this evening from another source, again there's an attachment.

Where's the problem ? I had a Thunderbird update recently and I'm trying to remember if it was before this started or in between these two incidents.

I don't know the mechanism of email systems but I guess that somewhere the server has to receive an acknowledgement from the email reader that the download has taken place. As far as I can see there's no pattern to this to suggest an infection of some type, so is Thunderbird or has the server got the problem?

Rob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Large attachments can often cause problems, either with an ISP's maximum size restriction or by exceeding connection time limits. Do you know what type or how big these are?

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce - thanks for replying

I've now found something else which is more troublesome; the current email contains a 3.5MB wmv file and is clogging the download totally. I can access my emails on the Yahoo website and read them there - the troublesome one is not showing so I cannot delete it. Thunderbird says I have 13 emails to download, but only downloads this repeating one and doesn't see the others.

Ahh ! progress for the moment - the Yahoo website this time did show the troublesome email and deleting it there has cleared the log jam.

Now this may be just a coincidence that it has happened like this twice in 3 days, but I suspect something is causing it. Any ideas ?

Rob