New Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore w/ multi HD

I don't believe I quite understand how this is suppose to work. I have 3 HD and under System Protection all are "On" under the protection. The C drive is not the largest and never saves any restore points after rebooting but I've given it 10% of the disk space. I have done the same for all 3 drives with drive D being the largest. Looking at D drive under configuration, there seems to be restore points there because of the "current usage" amount and there is no usage under C drive. However, when I select System Restore, it only looks in the C drive, System, for points and no where else. Should I turn off Protection for all drives but C drive? Will that force the restore points to be placed there?

One last question, using Revo Uninstaller and other programs and they create System Restore points, are they storing them in their dedicated folders?

Thanks for any input,
    Ron
    Win7 64 bit, Ultimate

Thanks
    Ron, First, welcome to the Lounge.

I would not be putting my eggs in the System Restore basket. Look into Imaging. Many of us here consider Imaging the "Gold Standard" of whole HD protection, either single HD or partition and/or whole system.

System restore may work for windows system files on occasion, but rarely works for the whole system. An Image made with a good 3rd party Imaging app, IMHO, always works. I can restore either of my partitions in less than 10 minutes. I can restore my entire HD (both OS's and my data partition) in less than one half hour to exactly what they were when the Images were created. If the Image was created one day prior to the disaster, then the restoration is one week old. If the Image is 6 months old then the restoration is 6 months old. This is another reason to recreate Images regularly. Regular Images allow restoration in the shortest period of time.

This is my opinion, but I think you will see it is many others opinions as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Ted

I backup weekly and image the entire system monthly, but sometimes after I've installed a piece of junk and may still have some issues after using Revo to uninstall the junk I use to find that the quickest way, in the past, was just to restore. So if you know any of the answers to my questions--I'm all ears/eyes.
    Ron

Thanks
    Should I turn off Protection for all drives but C drive? Will that force the restore points to be placed there?
    Yes, system restore does not need to be active on any other drive than the primary drive or partition the os resides on.

There does not appear to be any benefit to system restore running on other drives unless you have moved system files that system restore monitors, as in certain [??] moved folder locations.

Here is a decent article on System Restore from LifeHacker that may answer some questions.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-28 at 06:32.

Thanks
    Ditto ! System Restore may work for Windows system files. Unless you have carved your system a la bbearren system then your system files should all reside on the main OS drive so you should only need System Restore on that drive.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy