Thread: Stub.exe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stub.exe

Hi All, I would like some help please. A downloaded Aircraft (third party) for flight simulator 2004, Vans 727, has brought along a unknown and unmentioned pest it is called stub.exe. After trying all malware and reg scans, which removed some of it? it must still be there because whenever I now try to re-install flight simulator it will not go and the Stub.exe image appears at the beginning of the flight sim install procedure. When scanning the registry, using JV16, it lists: ishare media left over from deep scan. I am unable to delete that entry. There are three of them. Microsoft Flight Simulator will no longer install. I have removed the suspect Aircraft but nothing seems to fix the problem. Malware scans show no problems. Ran 3 times. Regards Peter

Thanks
    Microsoft Games: Error "Protection Stub has stopped working"

Have you attempted to remove all files and folders from their install directories.
    ??C:\Program Files (x86)??

Make certain you are doing so from the user admin account.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint, thank you for the reply, the link is not relevant as the game is currently not installed. It will no longer install. That is the problem. I found the stub.exe in C:\Windows/prefetch and removed it. But the un-install problem persists. Stub is present many times in the registry as programs, which I have, like Acronis use that program. There are others as well. So I don't know which other instances of stub can be removed from the registry. The only stub.EXE was in C:\windows \prefetch. It is very strange whenever I put the install disk # one of Flight simulator in the DVD/CD drive the Stub.exe file pops up. Where is it coming from? I have no idea. Any other CD/DVD do not have this problem. I have removed all instances of Flight simulator and any third party Aircraft from the Computer. It appears to be a deep rooted pest. Any further help would be appreciated. I have a guilty conscience as I am never been able to help anyone. Regards Peter

Thanks
    Has the program been fully removed from the "C:\Program Files (x86)" and the "user profile" section as well?
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-27 at 11:15.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint, thank you for the help. I fixed the problem, even though I had unistalled everything including the third party Airplanes there were still 12 registry entries. All was well after I deleted those entries from the registry. I went to reg edit used find and typed in Flight Simulator there were the entries, flight sim roaming etc. Thank you again. Regards Peter

Thanks
    Good thinking, thanks for posting back with the solution.When/if you go to reinstall the app, check out the DEP suggestion from MS in my previous link.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint, yes I have done the DEP suggestion. Regards Peter