New Lounger
    Thanks

CD Audio Sound Dropouts

When running tests on a new DELL INSPIRON 620 x64 desktop I detected problems with the DVD/CD audio. There was no DVD audio and either no or poor audio on various CDs. Internet audio played OK. The system has Windows 7 Home Premium V6.1 SP1 installed with Conextant HD Audio.

With the initial service call to Dell Suport, Windows Media Player (WMP) V12 and other audio drivers were upgraded. Mono and a few stereo CD's played fine. Others did not. DVD audio was now OK.

With the second service call, VLC Media Player V2 was installed. Most stereo CDs played fine with VLC, but a few older ones (Fleetwood Mac 'Rumours' for example) still had sound problems, but not as severe as with WMP. The symptom is random sound dropouts. This is evidenced by missing media-stream buffers detected with VLC's tools.

Dell Support claims that this is a Win 7 x64 problem where the audio system may not play CDs with older audio formats. I did notice that analog audio is not an available selection, only digital.

Any comments or solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi walt007

WSL.JPG

I use Winamp to play all my audio files and Media Player Classic Home Cinema for films set as default. I have NO codecs installed other than what comes with my two programs.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Roderunner:
    Old CDs are playing fine without dropouts with Winamp.

Thanks
    Glad to hear it. If you need any tips in using Winamp, just ask.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!