Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Files saved to desktop not visible until you hit refresh (F5)

Win7 Pro x64/ Dell M4500
    Just recently (in the last couple of weeks) any file I save to the desktop does not show up visibly until I hit F5 to refresh the screen. It is a bit annoying when I am researching something and saving a lot of pictures or PDFs and leave before I hit F5.

Any ideas

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    That's Windows 7 for you. It works just like that. It's my understanding that the described behavior results from an attempt to make the Windows UI more responsive...

The only way I know to get around that is to open task manager, kill all instances of Windows Explorer and then start Windows Explorer again, by choosing File->New Task (Run) and typing explorer.exe and then clicking Ok.

You can also try the instructions on the 1st reply here: http://help.lockergnome.com/windows/Windows-Explorer-automatically-refresh--ftopict561276.html
    M
    y experience is that it will happen again. It is recurrent with both my Windows installations - 32 and 64 bits. The problem is much more frequent on the 32 bits version.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Michele720 (2014-03-02)

Thanks
    Save your files to a folder on the desktop and avoid the mess.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Save your files to a folder on the desktop and avoid the mess.
    This is an explorer issue, will affect all folders.

Thanks
    Normally my desktop is blank, on purpose, as I like to keep it that way.
    But I will also have a few folders on it to download photos, PDR's, and other office/ saved websites, when I want to download
    alot of "stuff", before organizing and decanting it to other areas for more permanency.
    I have yet to run into the type of situation (having to hit F5 to refresh) the OP has described.

Maybe there is a size/amount limit I have not hit yet?
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-27 at 20:59.

Thanks
    Sounds like the same bug/behaviour that's been plaguing W7 users since the first public Beta or earlier, no known fix for it as far as I can remember.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Sounds like the same bug/behaviour that's been plaguing W7 users since the first public Beta or earlier, no known fix for it as far as I can remember.
    I have experienced it right from the moment I started using Windows 7.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Normally my desktop is blank, on purpose, as I like to keep it that way.
    But I will also have a few folders on it to download photos, PDR's, and other office/ saved websites, when I want to download
    alot of "stuff", before organizing and decanting it to other areas for more permanency.
    I have yet to run into the type of situation (having to hit F5 to refresh) the OP has described.

Maybe there is a size/amount limit I have not hit yet?
    Don't think it's size or amount. This is much worse on my laptop where the number of files and the disk size used is much less than my desktop. I also don't keep many shortcuts or files on the desktop. Don't like it too cluttered.

Thanks
    Maybe it's more of an issue with the way in which one is using Windows 7 [??]Please provide more detailed instruction on how one could reproduce this behavior and I will try it.

Thanks
    The OP states "any file". Does this include jpg or png files as well? If so I do not see this happening on my laptop in Win 7 or Win 8 CP. I regularly save jpg and/or png files to my desktop temporarily before posting as screen shots in the Lounge and other Forums. I cannot attest to other type files as I do not save other files to my desktop but I do regularly save these files and do not need to use F5.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Maybe it's more of an issue with the way in which one is using Windows 7 [??]Please provide more detailed instruction on how one could reproduce this behavior and I will try it.
    There is no specific pattern of behavior that will cause this. When the problem "starts" (no forewarning) every operation on the file system (saving files, creating folders) just does not cause explorer to refresh the display. This happens with explorer itself or with save file dialogs, makes no difference. It can be particularly annoying when creating folders, because you get stuck with the New Folder name on the screen, even though you have changed it already. A forced refresh will get you the updated contents. Killing and restarting Explorer solves it... but just temporarily.

I also believe this is made worse by the fact that I hardly restart my computers (I just put them to sleep when I know I won't be using them for a while). The problem does not occur immediately upon boot, so those who shutdown regularly should be less prone to the issue.

Thanks
    I shut down regularly so that might be it, but it also seems like it could be a memory problem as well.
    .It may well be that it is less noticeable on a beefier system.

Thanks
    I don't shut down my desktop at all, and I've never noticed such behavior. I save a number of files on my desktop as well as shortcuts, and they always appear immediately. I can't recall having to refresh anything that runs in Explorer.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    I shut down regularly so that might be it, but it also seems like it could be a memory problem as well.
    .It may well be that it is less noticeable on a beefier system.
    Well I have 6 GB in a 7 x64. It's not much, but it can't be said it's not enough.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I experience this problem 100% of the time if I sort by date modified. If I sort by Name (file-name) then the problem is never observed. I have been hoping that eventually MS will correct this bug.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast