New Lounger
    Thanks

Constant Windows 7 Freezes

I can normally trouble shoot most problems but I am kind of at the end of my ideas besides just replacing hardware.

I have a Windows 7 sytem that has been running fine for months. All of a sudden I start getting freezing when using windows explorer, opening a browser or just sitting on the desktop for a while. I would be forced to to a hard reboot. Sometimes on start up it will hang and freeze on the start up screen, other times it might reset and go back to the bios startup, sometimes it will load normally. If I run in Safe Mode it runs fine

Now the confusing part for me. It would only do this when I was doing something on the desktop. If I had started a game for instance I could play for hours but as soon as I also opened a browser window it might freeze. I first assumed it was a problem with windows and did a clean reinstall. This did not solve the problem. Next I read that some people were having problems like mine using the intel SSD (320 series, 160 gb). I removed the SSD and did a clean install on a new rotating media drive. Same problems. At this time I have nothing else installed on the system besides mouse, keyboard, DVD ROM, no other hard drives, etc and no other software, just Windows 7 the the drivers I installed for the motherboard and graphics card. Some freezes occured while doing updates, some occured while rebooting again.

I have ran the memory test it did not indicate an error but on the restart after it the system froze again on the start up screen.
    I don't think it is power as I can play games for hours with no problem
    I don't think it is GPU for the same reason
    I have tried a new HD
    Which leaves the Motherboard and CPU but why only on the desktop.

Anyone have a suggestion of what I should look at?

Thanks
    Earl

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    When a PC that has problems runs OK when in safe mode that is often an indication of driver problems.

Joe

Thanks
    Ensure that you only installed the drivers for the motherboard, many of the utilities that might be provided can be problematic, even triggering BSOD's.

If you list your full hardware specs, we may be able to pinpoint possible problem utility software/drivers.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    In my experience, memory tests do not always find occurring problems. How much memory do you have? Have you tried removing memory sticks one or two at a time to see if the issue goes away?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelbar View Post

Anyone have a suggestion of what I should look at?
    Earl,
    Hello... Graphics Driver comes to mind ..I have Nvidia and had some "Freeze" problems with 7 \ 64 and 32 ...how i fixed it was i Installed the oldest Nvidia Driver that i could find (191.07 ) and set "Manage 3d settings" in the Nvidia control panel to "prefer maximum performance " ( both Global and program settings) for "Power Management" Anyhow it sounds like a graphics problem ... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for the replies

I am starting to suspect the graphics card drivers. When this first has started a couple of weeks ago I had updated my graphics card drivers a few days before. The first thing I did was a rollback to the previous one but it did not solve the problem so I figured it was something else.

Since last night the system seems to be running stable but I don't know why I did not change anything except running updates which I had did before on the other boot drive but it seems to have cleared up I will see how it goes. I might try removing the rotating media boot drive I installed and starting over again with the ssd and not update the graphics card to the lastest drivers and see how it goes.

All I have installed on the system is a Asus P7P55d Motherboard, Intel I7 2.8, 4 Gig Ram, Nvidia GTX 460 Graphics Card, Windows 7 32 bit, Logitic G15 keyboard and RAT Mouse everything else I had disconnected.

Just seems strange for a graphics card / driver problem that it will run fine in games but crashes on the desktop.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Zelbar, and All!

This is quite a while after you had your problems, but I've just started having similar problems now.

I have no games on my computer (not that I play anyway). Do you use WinZip 6.5 Pro, 64-bit? I tried to work back to when the problems started and the only thing I had changed lately was I updated WinZip Pro.

I do a backup run every Saturday with it and I noticed it ran extremely slow last week, ditto this week. However, a few other instances of problems in Windows Explorer this week make me believe it's Explorer, although I suppose something in WinZip perhaps could have had an affect on WinExpl.

At this point I hoped if I looked on the Lounge I'd find a suggested fix, but since I don't do anything that uses graphics too much I find it hard to suspect a graphics driver.

Did you ever figure it out?

Until I can figure it out I'll just have to put up with extremely slow running of programs that seem to associate Windows Explorer. I'd suggest any suggestions.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I meant I'd appreciate any suggestions!!!! Al

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you think Winzip may be the culprit, you can use ShellExView to disable the extensions added by Winzip and see if that helps: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html