2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I install a printer in XP Mode within Windows 7?

I have an HP Laserjet 1320 installed as one of my W7 printers and it works fine in W7. That printer shows up as "Shared" when I click on "USB" at the top of the XP Mode Window, but it doesn't show up in my list of printers, either when I click on "Printers and Faxes" in XP Mode or when I run programs in XP Mode and click on Print. I tried the "Add a printer" option in "Printers and Faxes" in XP Mode, but it didn't detect the HP as a Plug and Play printer and I didn't want to mess anything up by incorrectly trying to install the HP manually, so I then tried other methods suggested on the Web, but to no avail.

I started to change "Shared" under "USB" in XP Mode to "Attach," but got a warning screen telling me that continuing with this would disconnect the printer from my computer, so I figured that it was time to head to the Lounge and pick some of the excellent brains on this site.

Any help/thoughts on this will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Al
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on desktop
    Windows XP/Media Edition, SP3 on Dell laptop
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit, SP1 on HP Mini 5103
    Samsung Galaxy S2 running JB 4.1.2

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Just share the printer in Windows 7 and then add it as a networked printer in XP. Alternatively, you can proceed with the Attach mode. It will only attach the printer, while XP mode is running. When you shut it down or hibernate it, 7 will get the printer back.