Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 8 Start Menu

I just watched the video in this news story and thought I would ask some of you already trying W8. Is it really that hard>
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    At first glance, Win 8 CP seems daunting! Try reading a few of the posts on customizing and tips on using Win 8 CP and it becomes much easier. The Classic Shell app makes it much more like Win 7 (This is the only Win 7 Start Menu emulator I would ever consider or recommend). Many of us using Win 7 have many customizations as well so customizing Win 8 CP and when it is release in early June Win 8 RP is just a fact of life.

Win 8 CP and the next beta release, Win 8 RP are testing OS's only and are not finished. Win 8 CP, IMHO, is more polished that Win 7 was at this stage of it's development. MS is still making changes and "fixing" things. We'll see what they come up with in Win 8 RP. I do not think MS wishes to "shoot themselves in the foot" by releasing a OS that will alienate all desktop users out there, but at the same time they want an OS that will work well with tablets and touch screen PC's. They are developing an OS that does, with some customizing, do both. Like many desktop users, I almost never go to the Metro UI. That's me. I have read of many users that are clamoring for MS to get the Metro apps working and get more of the Metro apps in the store, so there are those users out there as well.

As long as Win 8 allows the level of customization it presently allows, both sides can be perfectly contented. I use Win 8 CP almost exclusively right now for 100% of my PC needs at home without a problem. Yes there are minor glitches, this is a beta OS after all, but nothing that cannot be tolerated at this stage of development. I have and use IE 10, and sometimes Chrome 18 and FF 12. All seem to work reasonably well. Most of the apps I have tried work OK with minor exceptions.

People are having problems with drivers, but generally these problems are more with power users (gamers not getting graphics updates, etc) It seems the driver data base that comes with Win 8 CP is quite extensive.

Also the vast majority of weird problems encountered are with those that tried to upgrade from their present OS rather than use the Custom (Clean) install approach. I honestly do not know why MS even included this option for Win 8 CP because it seems to have caused lots of problems in the Win 8 Forum I moderate. Fortunately it appears there will be no update path from Win 8 CP to Win 8 RP. The Win 8 RP in early June will require a Custom (Clean) install. This should alleviate some of the installation problems.

Anyway John, if you have a spare HD or spare PC or spare partition, Win 8 CP is fun to play with.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    The main thing about a BETA TEST version of any OS, is.....NEVER let a beta OS overwrite your main OS.

On another forum, people are coming on every day, virtually in tears, because they loaded Win-8/CP over their old OS where all their data files were located and Win-8/CP wiped it all out. At that point, about all we can do is hand them a crying towell.

Look before you leap!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

.ini

OK, I got one for Dr and Ted. How can I get rid of this Desktop.ini icon on my desktop. I delete it and it springs back on, a little aggravation nothing to loose sleep over. I just like to keep the desktop clean. On it now, I have the W-7 look not being into touch screen yet if ever.

Thanks
    Handcuff, to eliminate the display of Desktop.ini, you have to go into Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab and set it to Don't show hidden files....

Personally, I would rather put up with the icon rather than hiding hidden files.

Jerry

Thanks
    I used to always show all hidden files, but lately I've gotten away from it (Win 7 and Win 8 CP) because I'm tired of seeing all the Junction Points. I know what they are, and I just don't want to see them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, you typed at me in a mad dash : Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab and set it to Don't show hidden files....

Can one not be selective ? I should try it out. JP.

Thanks
    Open Control Panel
    Double click on Folder Options to open that applet
    Click on the View tab
    Click on the radio button next to Don't show hidden files.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My bad, Jerry. I was trying to find out if I could "Don't show hidden files" on that specific one, not the whole bunch. Sorry, the rest of it, I understood, Thanks. JP.

Thanks
    Sorry I misinterpreted you. I know of no way to enable/disable show hidden files on a file or folder basis only. I like a clean desktop so I use a program called Fences that hides all desktop icons. To see them, I just double click on the desktop and when done, double click on a blank area of the desktop to hide them again. I rarely find myself showing desktop icons.

When desktop icons are displayed. They are organized into groups called (what else) Fences. You can set an individual fence to always be displayed, so in your case you could put all your desktop shortcuts in one fence and set it to always be displayed and the desktop.ini icon in another fence that will be hidden when you double click the desktop.

You can find Fences here:
    http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

You can Private Message me if you need assistance configuring it.

Jerry

Thanks
    Jerry,

Nor do I use Desktop Icons. However, if, one simply Rt Clks the Desktop > View, there one can chose whether to Show Desktop Icons or not.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    That works as well but I like the extra control to organize the shortcuts Fences gives me and I find double clicking to hide/show shortcuts easier than right click then left click. To each his own.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sadly, Microsoft took the decision to remove the Start Menu in Windows 8. However, you can install third-party app such as classic shell to get back your Start menu.
    Last edited by thewarrior008; 2012-11-11 at 14:20. Reason: Grammar fix

Thanks
    @thewarrior088, Welcome to the Lounge.

We've discussed this almost to death in various threads. The thread you resurrected is somewhat old and outdated since it was written during Win 8 RP. Many of us have chosen a Start Orb replacement app. I use Classic Shell myself. These apps work very well to simulate the Win 7 Start Orb.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-10 at 18:04.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    OMG, not, still, more of this. There is nothing sad about it and there is no need to any 3rd party stuff to get anything back and I wish I was able to just close this Thread! There's a fine Operating System to discuss. Please, Folks, let's do that, instead of whinging anymore months about something that's been flogged to death and is not a problem, anyway. Windows 8 works well, there is nothing served by continuing to tell people otherwise. If you don't 'get it, don't care to use it, that's perfectly fine... but, could we please move beyond trying to tell people Microsoft messed up... they didn't.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast