New Lounger
    Thanks

How to route between networks

Hi there!

I'm Looking at being able to connect a VM on my work laptop with my desktop. The VM is on 192.168.131.x and my home computer is on 192.168.1.x. Can I do this via the ROUTE command? Is there something I can do in VMWare Workstation? I've googled around on this and didn't see anything too helpful.

Thanks for your help!
    Matt

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Not sure what happens with VMWare Workstation. I have used only the free VM Player, but on the Player, you can have several options regarding the network: Bridged, NAT or Host-only. What are you using?
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-04-29 at 20:46. Reason: Noticed my question was pointless, so rewrote the post

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's likely that your desktop and VM will be on different subnets and if so they would require a router to be able to communicate.

I'm not completely familiar with VMWare; is the Route command you mention part of that suite? If so, it may emulate a router function by providing ARP functionality, but I'm not sure how to configure that product. My 10.0.0.x/24 virtual hosts can communicate with my 192.168.1.x/24 physical hosts transparently using the built in routing capability in Virtual Box.

Perhaps the best option may be to check with the VMWare support site if nobody here has direct experience.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Just connect to the VM console on the laptop, log onto the VM and change the IP address to 192.168.1.202.
    This will now be visible on your network.

VMware passes network traffic direct to the physical network card and assumes you know what you are doing with the traffic.

cheers, Paul