2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Extract name, address, phone number, e-mail, and birth date from Word doc

What is the likely hood a procedure could convert this document into a list with all the names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mail, and b-dates instead of having to manully extract those items out so I can eventually put it into either Access or an Excel database?

In this sample there are two entries but in the actual doc there are about 55 different seperate family pages to extract.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    It would be easier if the various parts were marked with styles or bookmarks. I suspect you will spend more time trying to develop an automatic procedure than you would spend extracting the data by hand.

You could still use a macro that would start at a first name and extract that person's data. If it is put into a table it can be easily transferred to Excel or Access. Access would be better able to handle relationships.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Charles. Yes I was thinking it would be much more trouble automating this so I will just break out my sledge hammer and have it licked in no time. Do you know of a good pre-built template in Access for storing directory type information on people?

Thanks
    Here is a family tree database http://25yearsofprogramming.com/msaccess/famhistmdb.htm
    Here is an article on using Access to track contacts http://www.rediff.com/getahead/2007/jan/15access.htm
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

jrb (2012-04-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So appreciate your time Charles...Thanks

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb View Post
    What is the likely hood a procedure could convert this document into a list with all the names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mail, and b-dates instead of having to manully extract those items out so I can eventually put it into either Access or an Excel database?

In this sample there are two entries but in the actual doc there are about 55 different seperate family pages to extract.
    It would be helpful if there was some meaningful content in the document so that someone could tell which data are located where. All I see is a bunch of Last_Name & First_Name headings, strings of XXXX, some fractions and some apparently-pseudo email strings, but nothing that says how they're all related. If there was something intelligible, it probably wouldn't be all that hard to write a macro to do the processing ...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

jrb (2012-04-30)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul and thank you for your time.

In the end, manually extract the information into an Excel file and now all is good. It wasn't as time consuming as I thought. With all the data now in Excel, setup a mail merge template in Word and it works grand.

I was having trouble with displaying the date field correctly, but found this which solved it perfectly.