Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Adobe Flash not installing

My son, who lives 2 states away bought a new Windows7 laptop. With me here, and him there we were looking at a website that required Adobe Flash. He downloaded and installed it, but it kept telling him he needed Adobe Flash. Using Team Viewer I connected to his laptop to take a look, and sure enough it wasn't taking. I then tried it and got the same results. I then checked his Settings comparing them to mine. All were set the same. Although it shouldn't make any difference, (?) we did uncheck the Google Toolbar option.

He is running I.E. 9 64, and I am running I.E. 9 32.
    Ideas?

thanks
    Last edited by t8ntlikly; 2012-04-30 at 09:53.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you ensure you downloaded the 64-bit version of Flash?

See Adobe Flash Player at Majorgeeks for download links.

Joe

Thanks
    Yes,
    Thank you Joe. That was the first thing I looked at. I will be connecting to him this afternoon though and will try installing it from the Majorgeeks site and see if that helps.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can get the Adobe Flash Uninstaller from Majorgeeks too. You might try that before the reinstall just to be sure all vestiges are gone.

Joe

Thanks
    thanks again Joe, I will forward the links to him and have him give it a go. Will let you know

John
    Thanks John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Click the filter button (barred circle) in the address bar of IE9 to make sure that ActiveX Filtering is not enabled for the web site that needs to run Adobe Flash.

Bruce

Thanks
    Thanks Bruce,
    ActiveX Filtering is off for all sites.

John
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Well, that didn't work either. Next?
    Thanks John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is Flash listed under Manage add-ons in IE9? If you right-click it there and select More information, does it show Allow for all sites?

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    You can always go to the official Adobe Flash Player Installation site , which detects your OS and browser with Javascript; you can go to the official Adobe Flash Player All versions site for ALL supported versions for your computer; you can go to the official Adobe Flash Redistribution site to choose your full installer(s) without Adobe DLM. You can even go to the Adobe FTP Server for the latest full official installer for each version without additional baggage.

You can also check out the official Adobe instructions (with an official link to the Flash Uninstaller download) for problems removing previous versions.

Majorgeeks is good because it usually links to the official site, but the official Adobe sites are fully supported. Third-party sites are usually good, but the official sites are official...

I hate it when people in these forums try to get you to use Revo Uninstaller or direct you to unofficial distribution sites for BETA software...

Check the URLs for official software from official distribution locations...

Duh...
    Last edited by jgstanley; 2012-04-30 at 23:59. Reason: Clarify

Administrator
    Thanks
    For Flash, Majorgeeks only links to the Adobe site for downloads.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Well, that didn't work either. Next?
    Did he run the Flash Uninstaller as Administrator? Did he re-boot after the uninstall? Did he run the installers as Administrator? If the user account is not a member of the admin group is there an account that he can login with that is?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    For Flash, Majorgeeks only links to the Adobe site for downloads.
    True. I like Majorgeeks because they are typically honorable. I used to like CNet's Download.com before their scandal a little while ago (which is mostly fixed). Although, you can still find ALPHA and BETA software at Majorgeeks that is not really proper for novices.

I'm just providing the actual first-party links for official downloads to avoid conflicts and to teach novice users the proper method for downloading software...
    Last edited by jgstanley; 2012-05-19 at 20:59.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had similar problems even with the one for the offical site for FlashPlayer because I unchecked the McAfee install which I do NOT use. Even went in and right clicked the file and unblocked that file which still told me the sig or certificate was not valid. Eventually did get it to install but was a long drawn out procedure. Do not remember off hand what eventually did get it to install. I use Mozilla Firefox and IE v9 on 64bit OS.

My memory seems to remember doing something about adding the certificate after right clicking the install file and removing it from an area that said it was not acceptable.
    Last edited by NTLS; 2012-05-03 at 16:11. Reason: Additional information.
    Thank you for reading,
    TIA, CU L8R,
    NTxLS Win7 Pro 64bit SP1; FireFox v30.x, Password Maker v1.7.8; WinPatrolPlus: SuperAntiSpyware; MBAM Pro; all with the latest updates . .

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgstanley View Post
    True. I like Majorgeeks because they are typically honorable. I used to like CNet's Download.com before their scandal a little while ago (which is mostly fixed). Although, you can still find ALPHA and BETA software at Majorgeeks that is not really proper for novices.

I'm just providing the actual first-party links for official downloads to avoid conflicts and to teach novice users the proper method for downloading software...
    jgstanley,

I totally agree with you except about Majorgeeks, they do too many tricks to get the person using their site to click the wrong link to get your download. TUCOWS seems to be doing the same as CNet's download dot com. I find all sites that are not the "Official" site for any software except maybe Sourceforge which I am a member and use some of the software they provide and support them as much as I can by letting other people know about their site. They supply Free as well as purchase if you decide to assist in providing funds for their software creators. As a Retired Electronics Techy with come computer knowledge my funds are a little restricted. Plus at 72 not too well off without a job. Self taught on the CPU side by the 'school-of-hard-kocks' and many errors/BSOD and recovering using my own methods.

Thank you for reading my message.
    Last edited by NTLS; 2012-05-03 at 16:29. Reason: Added info.
    Thank you for reading,
    TIA, CU L8R,
    NTxLS Win7 Pro 64bit SP1; FireFox v30.x, Password Maker v1.7.8; WinPatrolPlus: SuperAntiSpyware; MBAM Pro; all with the latest updates . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast