New Lounger
    Thanks

USB device not recognized

I have been getting a USB Device Not Recognized message when I plug in my Cassette to MP3 converter. It worked fine until we had a power outage this weekend. The device was NOT plugged in at the time, and the computer was shut off. I don't know what is different now. I tried searching the web and here for solutions, but nothing seems to work. I'm using 32 bit Windows 7. Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Bob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've seen a number of fixes to this over time. Nine times out of ten times the one that works most consistantly is to pull the power cable and remove the CMOS battery for ten or more minutes. If its a laptop take out the main battery.
    Chuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you do remove the battery you will probably have to go into the bios to reset the boot order and dates and any other settings you may have done before. But it may resolve your problem. Other than that you could try going into device manager and deleting anything that it flags as unknown device, rebooting and see if it can find the drivers for the device then.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Before tinkering with the CMOS battery, try a cold shutdown first; you may also want to remove the listing for the device under device manager|show hidden files before shutting down.

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your help. I shut down the computer (a laptop) and removed the power cord and battery and my USB device was recognized. Thanks for your help everyone!