New Lounger
    Thanks

Where is the Ivy Bridge BIOS update????

I set out today to build a shiny new Ivy Bridge computer, since the components became available online just the other day. I narrowed the list down to: Intel Core i7 3770,
    Gigabyte GA-DS3H mobo & Corsair DDR3 memory. Then I went looking for the (supposedly) required BIOS update, so the mobo can run Ivy Bridge. There was no indication of this on the Gigabyte site so I found their USA number & called them (BTW, the number is carefully hidden, try to find it). The tech guy told me (in stilted English) that Ivy Bridge wasn't here yet, the BIOS was not available either and he had no idea when it would be available.

So there you have it, folks - beware before you try to build an Ivy Bridge system I'm not even sure what would happen if you built one without the BIOS update. Would it revert to Sandy Bridge, just sit there or blow up? There seems to be no other recent commentary on this situation out there, so hopefully somebody in the know can add a comment? Perhaps I just missed something.

The mind boggles.

Thanks
    Everything you need to make a determination is on the GiGABYTE site;

Here
    is a list of supported processors for the GA-Z77-DS3H, i7 Ivy Bridge is supported.

There have been 3 BIOS releases with this board as of this posting, Ivy Bridge BIOS support since F4 version.

You should be able to safely go ahead with this build.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint,

Thanks very much for your timely reply. I since have figured out (relatively) the same thing from Gigabyte's site (the only thing that gave me real pause was the klutzy tech guy). Also Intel's site had further confirmation.

So here I go into Ivy Bridge-land!

Peter

Thanks
    Your call probably got outsourced to someone on another continent in another country which, sadly, is common these days.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your calls are deliberately outsourced to third world countries staffed by people who know nothing of what they are selling. They are only after your phone call money and they get more by diverting you as you are online for much longer. I personally always hang up if the person at the other end does not speak plain English.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.