Lounger
    Thanks

How to save bookmarks when uninstalling?

I need to completly uninstall Firefox 12.0 and reinstall. I have a ton of bookmarks. I assume when I do a complete uninstall I will loose them. So my question is how I can do a complete uninstall / reinstall without looseing them? Where can I save them to so I still have them to put in my reinstall??

Win 7, Ultimate 64 bit

Thank You
    Glenn

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Glenn, when saving your bookmarks, name it anything you want as .json file type. FF Profile.pdf
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    Glen,

You can also use a program like XMarks which saves your bookmarks to the cloud and allows you to keep them in sync on multiple machines.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    1. Click 'Bookmarks'
    2. Select 'Show All Bookmarks'
    3. Click 'Import and Backup'
    4. Select 'Backup' and/or 'Export'
    Backup for use in Firefox, Export to use them in IE.
    5. Follow the screen prompts.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hit CTLR+SHIFT+B to launch the "Library", then click "Import and Backup" at the top and choose "Export Bookmarks to HTML" and save it somewhere.

But Firefox makes daily backups of bookmarks which are saved as a JSON file. Provided you don't check the option to delete your bookmarks, customizations etc., during the uninstall process, Firefox will reinstate them when you reinstall it.

If you don't mind me asking though, why do you want to uninstall it?

Lounger
    Thanks

Febe

You can use the Firefox add-on FEBE to save not only your bookmarks but all of your settings and then restore them when you re-install the browser. FEBE provides full backup which can either be selective or total and can be regularly scheduled. When you uninstall Firefox and then re-install it, you can add FEBE and import everything or only some things from a previous FEBE backup. I find FEBE indispensible. You can get FEBE here: http://softwarebychuck.com/febe/febe.html

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Febe is an approved Firefox add-on, but only if obtained through the secure Mozilla Add-ons site here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/febe/

Downloading Firefox add-ons from third party sites could compromise system security.

Thanks
    Glenn ...

Unless you've located it elsewhere, your Firefox profile is located at C:\Users\computername\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Fire fox\Profiles\. To save your profile simply copy the folder to a location of your choice.

FWIW, I'm a firm believer in keeping Firefox's Program and Profile folders off of the C: drive. I have mine located on my D: drive (along with a folder of programs that don't require installation). That way, should a reinstallation of the OS become necessary, Firefox is unaffected, except that the path to the Profile folder, which is contained in the profiles.ini file, must be re-established. The profiles.ini file is the only part of the program that must be located on the C: drive. It is located at C:\Users\computername\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Fire fox\profiles.ini.

I'm also a firm believer in always using Firefox's's custom installation, rather than the standard installation, as it gives you much more control over where the Program folder is installed, and what it's named. The same is true of the Profile folder.

If you use Thunderbird for email, all of the above applies, except that the paths are C:\Users\computername\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\ Profiles\ and C:\Users\computername\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Thun derbird\profiles.ini.

To illustrate, here's a screenshot of my D: drive. The _MOZILLA FILES folder contains my downloaded extension (*.xpi) files (the reason for the underscore preceeding the folder name is so that it will appear at the head of the folder list. Otherwise, it would appear between the FIREFOX and THUNDERBIRD folders).

moz.png
    Jim