3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

mcagent persists in notification area customize

In my new Win 7 Home Premium 64bit PC, I used Decrapifier and other ways to clean up the system. I used the McAfee removal tool and whatever I could see in Revo Uninstaller, etc., etc., but, in the Notification Area's "customize" box, "mcagent.exe" still shows.

It supposedly refers to McAfee Antivirus Plus, but that "goodie" has already been removed.

I even used the "notification area cleaner" that I got from www.itsamples.com, that removes icons from the customize box, if they no longer refer to programs that are still around (at this point, some icons did disappear from the customize box). Mcagent still there. In the registry, there are two keys that I find, associated with the text mcagent, but I don't understand the registry enough to feel confident about fooling with it. Google searching for people bothered by this showed me only threads that wound up unsatisfactorily. (Advice given confidently didn't work.)
    I seem to have encountered the problem and fixed it on my wife's 32bit win7, but I didn't make good enough notes.
    It's probably not doing any harm other than esthetically, but ...
    Anyone out there have a firm grip on this one?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Try one or both of these utilities to see what is started when you boot the system - Sysinternals - Autoruns or Nirsoft - WhatInStartup. Autoruns shows an enormous amount of data. you should look at the Logon tab first. Either program allows you to see the details of where the files are and to disable or delete the startup entry.

Joe

Thanks
    You could also try Mcfee's removal tool here:
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331\

If that doesn't work, try searching the registry for MCagent
    Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2012-05-01 at 14:25.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First quoting two items from my original post:
    Item 1: "
    I used the McAfee removal tool"Item 2: " In the registry, there are two keys that I find, associated with the text mcagent".
    When I run autoruns, the results are overwhelming, but if I search there for the word "mcagent", nothing shows up.

Administrator
    Thanks
    With Autoruns did you look at the Logon tab? That should narrow the amount of information quite a bit. If you aren't sure about the data post a screenshot and someone will respond.

What are the two registry keys?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you could export as backup the two registry keys to some like an external HDD or mem stick. Then just delete the two items refering to mcagent from the registry. If causes problem you can re-import the backups to repair. But if Mcagent and Mcafee virus scanner has been uninstalled you should get no problems and your taskbar customization box should be free of the mcagent entry.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of comments right off:
    Mcagent.exe doesn't show in Task Manager. Just in that customize box for the notification area.
    I'll upload a screen capture of the registry info here. It looks small in the post. I'll click on it when the post is up, and if it doesn't get any bigger or more legible, I'll add text or another post to just identify those two keys.
    registryentries.jpg

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you could backup your registry and then delete those two keys. then see if it disappears from customize box. If it does not and you have other problems you could just find your backup and restore the registry.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I deleted both those keys and rebooted, and checked and there were still 3 values in the registry with the mcagent text. I deleted those as well. The annoyance, and maybe it's just an esthetic annoyance, is still there, same as ever. So, no cigar.
    EDIT: I just noticed that those three values that I'd deleted got recreated. FWIW, I'm including an image of them here. But, I'm stumped, though I'm fairly sure that nothing harmful is happening. Just slightly unpleasant. In any case, I appreciate y'all's efforts.remnant.jpg
    (Note that, in order to see much here, you have to click the image to enlarge it.)
    Last edited by yerubal; 2012-05-02 at 18:26.

Thanks
    From a posting on the Mcafee forum:
    "Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but
    especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and
    "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows
    Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (To
    ols > Folder Options >
    View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the
    "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!"

Also, verify there are no Mcafee entries in Services.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwitalka has excellent suggestions. However, I've done every single one of them, among other things before. I would endorse the suggestions, though.
    The other interesting development is this. I just ran "notification area cleaner", from itsamples.com, which I had run much earlier, more than once, and it hadn't helped with the problem. But this time, it did the trick. Hallelujah!
    The bottom line, perhaps, is that it's all black magic to me.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Please post a screenshot of the Logon tab from Autoruns.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, you really want a screenshot of that, even though the problem no longer exists? What for? But, if you confirm that you want it, I'll post it. I'm just puzzled why you'd want it at this stage.
    EDIT: When you originally suggested autoruns, I didn't look specifically at the logon tab, in my frantic and messy process, and I apologize for not doing that then, when it might have been relevant. Again, if you want that even though the problem has been solved, I can do that. But is that so? And to what purpose, now that that annoyance is gone? It would be instructive to know that.
    EDIT: OK. Here it is, though I'd still appreciate a post about my last two questions.
    logons.JPG
    Last edited by yerubal; 2012-05-02 at 23:27.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, the "did the trick" comment did not register at the time. Thanks for posting the image anyway. Glad you got it resolved.

Joe