New Lounger
    Thanks

Two page numbers on same page

I often insert a single 11x17 page into a lettersized document and have them count as two pages. We've always had the first page auto number from the page ahead. Then have second page number hand-typed. Then on the next page (section) we insert a new auto page number and manually start it on the next consecutive number. I've seen where you can have two page numbers on the same page:
    { = { PAGE } * 2 - 1}
    then
    { = { PAGE } * 2 }
    ...but the syntax counts "physical" page count.

We need to be able to number sequentially from the page ahead (not including previous section pages---table of contents etc.).

Is there such a code to put in the page number fields to accomplish this?
    (currently using Word 2007).

Thanks
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could use the SEQ field code instead of a PAGE field.

For example, a field code like { SEQ pn } would display a number incremented by one each time it is used, so if you used it where you want the page number it would do what you want. (The "pn" part is just a name for the series to be sequenced; you can have >1 series in effect at once.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks Eric! I have tried many different combinations to insert the SEQ pn code. I keep getting "Error! Main Document Only." in the field. I know I'm doing something wrong but I just can't figure it out. Any thoughts?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Duh! Sorry about that: the SEQ field code cannot be used within a page header or footer.

However, I thought about it further and came up with a possible alternative. The attached sample file shows it more easily than a written explanation, but basically, you need to use field codes that step up the increment each time you insert a tabloid sheet.

So, { = { page } + 1 } gives you the desired # on the right side of the first tabloid sheet, but then you need to begin the next section with { = { page } + 1 } to ensure that the sequence continues properly with the extra one page you inserted. If you then later add a 2nd tabloid sheet, the following section will need to start with { = { page } + 2 } because you now have two extra pages to account for in the sequence.

In my sample I also show how you can manage the numbering sequence if you use duplex printing where the inserted tabloid sheet would need to be numbered, say, 8 and 9 on one side, then 10 and 11 on the other. The method is a bit tricky to figure out at first, but overall I think it is logical -- and will overcome the problem of having to manually reset the page number after a tabloid page insert.

BTW, I hope you have a printer capable of feeding those tabloid pages. ;-)
    Attached Files Attached Files