New Lounger
    Thanks

Modifying "Save in:" in Windows 7

I would like to modify the left portion of the Save file/attachment/etc. window. Currently it shows the following:

My Recent Documents
    Desktop
    My Documents
    My Computer
    My Network Places

I have been burnt in the past with a lockup or crash which has made me re-think the way I use hard drives. Now only the OS and programs are installed on the "C" drive, with the "D" drive containing my Downloads, My Documents, My Pictures, etc. files.

I want to add these as locations to save to from Windows Explorer, or applications. To do this, I have to modify the Save In portion of the save windows for those applications.

Is there an easy (or moderately difficult) means to do this? It would sure make life easier. Now I have to go to My Computer and then through all the folders on my D drive to get to where I want to go.

Even the "My Recent Documents" doesn't always show any locations on the 'D' drive. Is there a common place or adjustment for all applications, or is this application dependent?

PS I do not like the "Libraries" feature of Windows 7 - it adds too much overhead. I have to scroll past the default settings to get to my usable locations.
    Last edited by TheCyberRon; 2012-05-01 at 17:40.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    CyberRon,

Welcome to the lounge as a new poster.

You can add your D: drive and/or folders on the D: drive to your Favorites.
    Favorites.PNG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. But as you can see in my post, the "Favorites" link does not show in the "Save in" window.

I'll try to post a picture of the Window in mind. This one is from Outlook (trying to save an attachment).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    on some programs such as Firefox you can set the default save folder in the options /General tab for downloaded files. Other programs may have settings for default saving locations I don't know.
    Also I have no idea where this 'save in' windows is in win 7. can only find 'save as' in open programs where you can direct the file to be saved where ever you want..
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCyberRon View Post
    Thanks. But as you can see in my post, the "Favorites" link does not show in the "Save in" window.

I'll try to post a picture of the Window in mind. This one is from Outlook (trying to save an attachment).
    Ron,

What version of Outlook are you using? It seems to work just fine in Outlook 2010.
    SaveAs.PNG

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Ron,

What version of Outlook are you using? It seems to work just fine in Outlook 2010.
    SaveAs.PNG
    Unfortunately (or fortunately - to each his own) I have Office 2003 - same as at work.

Here is the Outlook Save In window:
    Outlook 'Look in'.jpg

Here is the same in Firefox (to upload the picture):
    Firefox 'Save In'.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Ron,

SaveAs.PNG
    Unfortunately (or fortunately - to each his own) I have Office 2003 - same as at work.

Here is the Outlook Save In window:
    Outlook 'Look in'.jpg

Here is the same in Firefox (to upload the picture):
    Firefox 'Save In'.jpg

This is under Windows 7-64 bit. Firefox is version 3.6.28. I can't get the latest - it disables my password program. Internet Explorer 9.0.6 works fine with it.

Thanks
    Ron,

Here's a Microsoft article on modifying the Places Bar maybe it will help.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone. Between the Microsoft article and the Favorites tip, I have at least a partial solution.