Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Whatever happened to ethics?

There are a number of forums, including this one, that have, in various threads, links to SevenForums. And there is an abundance of great information and tutorials on SevenForums. There are also a number of forums, including this one and SevenForums, that have, in various threads, links to MyDigitalLife. And again, there is an abundance of great information and tutorials on My Digital Life. But My Digital Life also has a forums section.

One of those forums is Windows 7, and one of the sticky threads in MyDigitalLife's Windows 7 forums is entitled The Official Windows 7 repository. If one clicks on that particular sticky, one will find a very straightforward promotion of the illegal use of Windows 7.

"Welcome!

This step-by-step tutorial will show you how to get Microsoft Windows 7 for free and safely in 4 simple steps. You'll learn how to download, install and activate Windows 7 using the safest and most reliable method available. The philosophy behind this guide is to promote universal access to knowledge for every human being. Free software is also being slightly introduced throughout the guide."

At what point should the ethics of a particular forum come into play? I posted a thread very similar to this one on SevenForums and it got yanked in less than one minute by a forum Administrator. Really! I posted my new thread and returned to the main forum, and my thread didn't even show! I quickly got a private message from an administrator. I was told that my post would only serve to confuse others and promote what "they" consider illegal activity. Duh? Just who is promoting what?

Some MyDigitalLife forums do indeed, and quite explicitly, promote illegal activity. My 2˘ is that forum moderators and administrators should have some clue about sites that explicitly promote what amounts to software piracy and other illegal activity, and endeavor to have their particular forum not be a party to it.

I am pleased to say that of all the forums where I did a search for "mydigitallife", Windows Secrets Forums had the fewest links.

Am I out of line, or is there a line that we should try not to cross?
    Last edited by JoeP517; 2012-05-02 at 09:29. Reason: remove direct link to questionable post
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2012-05-02)

Thanks
    Thanks for the info, I had no idea the above site attempts to instruct the average user into ilicit circumvention of product keys and or activation by means of
    their article.

I'm sure I have on at least one occasion, linked to an article of theirs.

I would definitely recommend against linking to any of their articles here in the future and will be on the lookout for
    such links in the future as well.

Yes, the article is clearly illegal and does cross the line.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-05-02 at 10:28.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    If you are concerned about a site promoting piracy report them to Microsoft.

We should NEVER promote illegal activity.

Joe

Thanks
    An addendum: the thread I posted on SevenForums that is almost identical to this OP (and got yanked in a New York Instant) got me this:

"You have been banned for the following reason:
    Breach of forum rules

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

As soon as I had seen that my thread had been pulled, I had sent a private message to Brink, (the administrator who I assume pulled the thread) and stated that I intended to post the thread on another forum where I didn't expect it to be pulled.

I guess I hit a nerve...
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-05-02 at 06:15. Reason: clarity
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm in good company with bbearen. About a year ago I got the same message that bbearen posted above. I had posted a response to a self-described "strong Christian", questioning his/her very un-Christian-like response to my request for help.

I'm sure my response no longer appears on Brink's site.

Dick

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    "B",
    Hello...I agree with you, but would like to add my 2˘ also ....
    We here at the lounge who volunteer our time can not possibly know of every (sticky) or link in every board or forum ...So we link to "posts" (to other forums ) so we can point someone in the right direction to find solutions to problems ( without having to re post the same Info)... I think it's up to individuals to make their own decisions as to using information ...or not .. If someone wants to do something that's is illegal ...Well i don't want to get in the way of their success and happiness...Not my choice ..Also i don't think posting the link to how to "Hack Windows" is in line with trying to stop such... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I completely subscribe to the idea that we should not, in any way, promote or condone piracy or other illegal activities. I have posted links to other forums (Windows 7 and MyDigitalLife) but I am not even a user of those forums. They do have posts that can be of huge help to users, on certain occasions and some of them (MyDigitalLife) have links to legitimate ISO downloads of Windows versions, that can be used by legitimate Windows versions owners, with their own legal keys. In some cases, no other similar source can be found.

As long as the use of the info we link to is legitimate, should we refrain from doing it? I can accept a positive answer, but personally I think it would be a loss if we stopped being able to link to Windows ISO downloads, for example. There is much legitimate info online that can be used for bad purposes. So, the question is, IM, whether our advice to use the info (or data) legitimately can be considered as endorsing piracy... This is a recurring question. I remember an article in Windows Secrets itself (by Brian Livingstone, if I remember well), that described how an upgrade Windows edition disc could be used to install Windows without needing the original media, thus allowing a user that so wished to have a Windows full version at the cost of an upgrade. I remember the defense of the publishing of the article as a legitimate decision, even if some people could use the info there for non legitimate purposes. I think it was a good call.

So, my impression is that things are not so clear cut, most of the time. Every time I linked to an ISO download, I advised the user to use its legitimate key. If the user had no key, could it be said I was endorsing piracy?! I don't really think so.

Anyway, I will abide by whatever is decided by those who own and run the forum. I pay for my software and only advise legitimate use of any software, so I have no conscience issues regarding the advice given here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    An addendum: the thread I posted on SevenForums that is almost identical to this OP (and got yanked in a New York Instant) got me this:

Breach of forum rules

As soon as I had seen that my thread had been pulled, I had sent a private message to Brink, (the administrator who I assume pulled the thread) and stated that I intended to post the thread on another forum where I didn't expect it to be pulled.

I guess I hit a nerve...
    Were you deliberately setting yourself up to be banned, or did you sincerely think that they would engage in some sort of debate about ethics and morality?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    We should not promote the use of illegal activity. The ISO links are not the problem although I'd use DigitalRiver links before a torrent link. The problem in the post is the program which is used to activate Windows 7. Is bypasses Microsoft's activation and uses OEM keys. That is clearly illegal and is not condoned.

Joe

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Due to recent events in another thread, I'm going to kick back, enjoy the warm spring sunshine and keep my head down on this one.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    Due to recent events in another thread, I'm going to kick back, enjoy the warm spring sunshine and keep my head down on this one.
    The events in the other thread were dealt with and everyone's opinions are welcome .

Thanks
    Whatever happened to ethics?
    Ethics has been replace by knowledge.
    Common Sense has been replaced by Education.
    I could go no but this really is not the place for this, I just can't resist commenting though.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suppose Brink thought that bbearren, by mentioning the illegal tutorial, was actually drawing attention to it. The Seven Forum rules do state
    No discussion of piracy or anything illegal is allowed at all. Such as software, music, videos and other intellectual property violations.
    (written by z3r010, who is perhaps not Brink - perhaps bbearren should PM him??).

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2012-05-02 at 12:41.

Thanks

Breach of forum rules

I guess I hit a nerve...
    I do not believe Brink has a good sense to choose right from wrong. There is often good info on that Forum, but there are also a lot of bad decisions made IMHO. I made a similar mistake that you made with a like result a while back, both in the 7 and 8 Forums from this group. I guess we both hit a nerve with Brink.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Were you deliberately setting yourself up to be banned, or did you sincerely think that they would engage in some sort of debate about ethics and morality?
    I had no intentions or wish to be banned. I was seriously hoping for a discussion of differing ethical views, just like I am seeing here in this thread. This is what I was looking for.

It's pleasing to see that I can find that here.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast