2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic sending from non-default account (Outlook 2007)

I have two email accounts related to two domains I own. I have one ISP account into which emails sent to both of the domains are funnelled. They arrive in my inbox with the correct "to" address and my company-related emails are filtered into separate folder using a rule that I set up and which works well. The default mail account for the Outlook client is my personal email address. Both are standard POP3 accounts.

So far so good.

My problem emerges when I opt to reply to one of the emails received by my business address. Unless I manually choose the account from which to send it (a tedious process I often forget), the replies get sent out from my (default) personal email address, which causes some confusion to my business correspondents. They send business related emails to both addresses and the filtering system, working properly, results in an imperfect separation of emails.

What I would like is for replies to be automatically sent from the account that received them (i.e. that they were addressed to). What would be even better, (but is, I fear, a step too far) is for new emails I create to be sent from the business account when I'm in the business related folder in my outlook folder hierarchy and from the personal (default) folder when I'm anywhere else.

I don't have Exchange, so currently both folders are in the same PST file stored on a local NAS box. I don't mind creating a new PST specifically for emails sent to the business email address, (even though I'd lose my ability to search across all of the current year's emails in one operation, as I can now) but I'd like to know if what I'm after is feasible before I completely restructure my setup. Keeping a single PST is the desirable option. My Googling about this has brought up only the manual option of selecting the sending account using the 'Account' button, but I'm looking for something a bit more fool-proof, (bacause I'm a fool).

Is this pipe-dream possible?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The problem is the funneling through a common account. Do you need to do that? If your receive them separately, that wouldn't happen.

Otherwise it's rather hard. Some custom coding could be done, I guess, but you'd need to be able to write VBA and add a special button to start a message to the ribbon. I never looked into this, and I am admitting that with VBA you can determine which folder you are viewing, but I can't be definitive about it. If you could remove the funneling, Outlook would to that automatically for you.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response, rurib. I haven't ignored you - I've been having problems with my ISP.

I was able to create another email account through which to receive my business-related mail, as you suggested. Unfortunately, due to what I'm hoping is a problem with my provider's mail service, although I can log into the new account using webmail, Outlook 2007 refuses to connect successfully. I need to correct this before I can redirect the messages to the new account and test the hypothesis about the return address.

Why is nothing ever straightforward??

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sure, do keep us posted .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic sending from non-default account (Outlook 2007) - Update

Right - initial problem solved. The new account now works as it should. I can send and receive through it as normal. It's listed as a separate account in the 'Send/Receive' menu, it should be completely separate from the default account - even the SMTP and POP3 server routings are different. My provider is Virgin Media but my account - and default email address - dates from the time when blueyonder.co.uk was the email suffix, (Virgin Media took over Telewest Blueyonder several years ago). While they still support the old address formats, new accounts have to be virginmedia.com. The older - default - account routes through POP3.blueyonder.co.uk, while the new account routes through POP3.virginmedia.com, (with equivalent SMTP addresses).

Trouble is, the Outlook client behaviour hasn't changed - messages received to the new account - while being filtered into the appropriate folder correctly within my Outlook client - are still sent from the default (i.e. personal) account when I click on the 'Reply' button. I still have one PST containing both sets of mail and, as I said in my first post, I'd like to keep that situation if possible, but will accept the change (provided it works!) if that's the only solution.

I thought Outlook was more intelligent than this. I'm beginning to suspect it's me!!

Any more thoughts...?
    Last edited by SteveTetch; 2012-05-08 at 05:35. Reason: Typo correction
    Regards,

Steve

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sending through the received account is default behavior in Outlook. Have you checked that you can send emails through the new account?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the test emails are generated through the correct account from the button in the 'Accounts Settings' dialog. Also, I can manualy select the account to send from on the Account drop down when I generate a reply.

It seems to me that if Outlook supports more than one email account within the same instance of the client - which it patently does - then there should be a mechanism to ensure that the account receiving a message is the one used to generate a reply. Why on Earth would you want it any other way??

Getting fraught now...
    Regards,

Steve

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have never seen Outlook behaving in any other way but that. Sorry to ask, but are you sure you tried the reply with emails received through the new account?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank for your response, Rurib, but yes, I@m definitely repying to emails sent by through the new account and the default action remains to set the reply address to that of the default account in the client.

Reading up on this a bit more, I came across the concept of Profiles in Outlook. If I set up a new profile with the business account, then I assume that will get me the outcome I want. The downside, of course, is that, at the moment, I can see emails sent to both accounts as they arrive. If I create a new profile, I either have to close Outlook down to switch between them - thus I'll miss messages arriving for the business adress if I'm logged on with the profile using the personal address, and vice versa - or else I'd have to have two instances of Outlook running - one for each profile, which means keeping separate PSTs and duplicating a lot of my address book.

I don't like the sound of this option but will dig a bit more to see if I can find a more satisfactory solution.
    Regards,

Steve

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Profiles are nice but a pain. Here's what I'd do before trying separate profiles. I'd shutdown Outlook and then copy/move the current PST file to somewhere safe. Use the Control Panel Mail applet and delete all the Outlook accounts. Setup the account you wish to be the default with a new data file. Setup the other account with a separate new data file. Open Outlook. Open the OLD PST file using File | Open | Open Outlook data file.
    Once the file is open you can drag and drop items to the appropriate spots in your new data files. Outlook should act as Rui has described. In whichever Inbox you are working Outlook should use that account as the reply account.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Also, if post #10 does not work it could be your current mail profile is corrupted in some way. You can try setting up a new mail profile from scratch with separate email accounts each of which having its own data file. You should be able to open the current PST as described above. If that fixes everything you can delete the old mail profile.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your advice, Joe. I've followed it, more or less and it seems things now work as I want them to (and which all the guides I've found say should have been the normal way all along).

Previously, I'd create a new PST every year by copying last year's and deleting all of the old messages etc out of the structure. That enabled me to keep the folder structure identical and have my rules and alerts carry on without interruption. I'm guessing this perpetuated some kind of problem or inefficiency witin the PST that gave rise to my issue.

At your suggestion, I renamed my PST when Outlook was closed (having exported my Rules list), deleted my profile and created a new one. The resulting PST was first of all moved to my desired location, (I haven't found a way of setting up a profile that doesn't create the PST in the folder structure of my Windows User account, whereas I'd rather have it with the rest of my data on my NAS box). The default account in this profile, as before, was my personal account and I created a second account for my business email address. I departed from your advice here by keeping a single Outlook data file.

The redirection into the appropriate accounts still works and I'm able to reply from the correct account automatically without having to manually select it. I've now moved all of the messages etc from the old PST to the new. I have Contacts and Calendar yet to do, but so far so good.

I have a couple of minor issues remaining but I'm sure they're related to the configuration of my ISP account and I'm pursuing them separately.

Thank you to all who contributed.
    Regards,

Steve

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe