Thread: Modem Activity

New Lounger
    Thanks

Modem Activity

I recently replaced my DSL modem. I am using the same brand as before, a Motorola. When I turn off the computer at night the ethernet and activity light go off as before. When I restart the computer the next day, the ethernet light comes on but the activity light remains off and I have no internet connection. All the lights are solid green except no light for the activity. If I unplug the modem for a few seconds and plug it back in, everything is alright again, Putting the computer in the sleep mode during the day causes no problem. Is there any (easy) solution to this problem so that the modem will be fully functional without having to turn it off and then on again? Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It sounds like your PC is not being assigned an IP address by the modem when it (the PC) is powered up. However, if resetting the modem fixes it, I doubt the problem is on the PC, but more likely the modem.

One way to check that is to open a command prompt (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt, or Start>Run>cmd.exe depending on your version of Windows), and execute an ipconfig /all after the PC has booted up. Let us know the result and we can think about the setup and causes.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help. I reset the modem and the problem seems to have been corrected.