New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I Change my Hotmail Windows Live ID?

I have recently changed my password twice, due to a hacking problem, my mistake.
    I note that in My Account, I have a Unique ID allocated by Hotmail.
    My Account also offers me the ability to change my "Windows Live ID" - what I call my e-mail address, ie. the bit that ends in xxxxxx@hotmail.com.
    I would like to change this windows live ID. I have had it for over 6 years and a clear out is called for. However, I must not loose my existing folders etc.
    If I change my Windows Live ID, (but keep The Unique ID issued by hotmail) will I loose all my current folders and all the information stored in them plus all the e-mails in my current inbox??

I do not want to close the account, all I would like to do is change my e-mail address/windows live ID without losing all my old e-mails that I have not deleted.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Change Your Windows Live ID Primary Email Address

Do not use any other browser other than IE to do this or you will fail.

You would also do well to backup those existing folders by exporting everything to a secure location on your hard drive, then burning them to
    CD/DVD or USB thumb drive. (need to install an email client in order to do this)

Untitled1.jpg
    Select "Account" under your current user ID at the top right.
    Untitled2.jpg
    Note, you might not be able to change your account.
    The above article will provide some more details.
    Untitled3.jpg
    I can't change my Live ID (as an example)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-05-02 at 13:17.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Philjarrah (2012-05-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint,
    Have not tried yet due other commitments.
    In your last image is that just an indication of not being able to change your Live ID???
    Because in image #2 circled in Red is the option to change!!

Thanks
    Yes, there is a possibility you will not be able to change your Live ID.
    Read through the above article.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philjarrah View Post
    I do not want to close the account, all I would like to do is change my e-mail address/windows live ID without losing all my old e-mails that I have not deleted. [/SIZE]
    Even if your able to change your Live ID, you will still have to give the new address to all your contacts and your current problem could happen again.
    This is how I manage mine.
    I have a Hotmail account, it stores all my contacts, I also keep a copy in .csv format. It is ONLY used to sign-in to Window Live Mail. Once the folders for it have been added, it gives me Safe/Blocked senders filtering. I then add my Gmail account & delete the Hotmail account. Everything still works as previously stated.
    My Gmail account is set to archive messages once they are accessed using POP3, so I NEVER lose any messages unless I delete them.
    If my current Hotmail account had been hacked, all I would need to do is open a new account, import my .csv contacts and be back to normal in minutes.
    If you decide to follow my method, install Window Live Mail and Export your mail. Export & Import Messages in WLM.pdf This is NOT possible when accessing your Hotmail account via your browser.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.