New Lounger
    Thanks

EFS alternatives

What is the best alternative to Windows Encrypted File System (EFS)? I have been using it for years from XP to Windows 7. I hear it will not be supported in Windows 8. Also I currently use Mozy for backup but cannot view the files from other devices (iPhone) because the files are stored EFS on Mozy. Ideally, I would be able to selectively encrypt folders/files on my hard drive, back them up to cloud storage in same encrypted format, and have similar access to them from other devices like my iPhone. By backing up files in their local encrypted format, they are more secure online should someone (including the vendor) hack into my account.

Thanks for any suggestions

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hello seths and welcome.

Take a look at Appsense DataNow. Used in conjunction with Dropbox, (or maybe Mozy too?) gives the ability to encrypt files on the PC, access and decrypt them on the iPhone.

Not sure if Appsense will run on Win 8, but no harm in trying.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Take a look at https://spideroak.com/. Fully encrypted and they don't keep a copy of your personal key, so even their employees can't look at your stuff. All the major platforms are supported.
    Chuck

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think Axcrypt is pretty neat. No UI as such, it just becomes a right-click option in Explorer. You can also encrypt the name of a file, so no-one can tell what it is. And if you want to send an encrypted file by email, say, it can make self-decrypting executables la Winzip.

Oh, and it's freeware.